how soon to transfer seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HubertGarfunkle, Jul 1, 2013.

1. how long do you guys let the "tail" on your seedling get before transitioning it? and what do you like to move it into?

i just left some in water for 24 hours, as soon as I saw the small "tail" i moved them into some small cups with potting soil and im not very happy with the results.

2. Sounds like you did good. Soon as I see mine has cracked I put it in a cup or my rock wool.
    Why aren't you happy with the results? It will take a few days for it to pop out of the soil.
    Just keep it warm and moist with a piece of plastic over your cup.

3. ^ What he said. How deep did you bury it?

4. did you put the white part facing down or up?

5. I like to use a 3 part process, 8 hours or overnite in a glass jar at 75F with a teaspoon of bleach, to kill fungi spores, then to a wet towel at 75f until the tails are 1/2 inch long, ensure the tails never never dry out( thats called aero pruning see roots), then to a 4 inch pot for 2-3 weeks, a lot has to do with what else is going on in my grow room too!

as per, if I'm busy elsewhere, I'll move the seedling to a four inch pot at 1/4 inch again just as long as that tail don't dry out, re: i won't kill the plant but will very much DELAY everything

6. well i had a totat of 10 seeds, all of them sprouted, but when i transferred to soil, only 3 have completely sprouted, the rest died. I think im going to invest in a seedling kit or whatever. with those little cubes and a dome for next time.

once i have a little sprout going, how soon to put it under a cfl? and from there, when do i transition it to under and HPS?

7. #7 Ryder Run, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
    @[member="HubertGarfunkle"] - I germed mine in a wet paper towel, inside of a sandwich bag, inside of a dvd case and placed it on top of my cable box for humidity. I then wait 2 days, by that time all of the tails should be sprouted.

Go ahead and get your solo cups (with drain holes), or whatever your medium is prepared. I take a chopstick (Best munchie food ever too btw) and make a hole in the soil about 1/4" deep, long enough to just barely cover the top of the planted seed. I always use gardening gloves and a headband when handling soil (pH reasons) and tweezers when handling my freshly germed seeds.

Place your seed in your medium and GENTLY cover with soil. I then cover my solo cups with a sandwich bag and keep in a dark/humid room for another couple days. This will cause your seedlings to go searching for light and sprout. After sprout is when they can begin taking light and getting fresh air.

I hope this helps a bit for your next attempt as it has worked flawlessly for me so far.