How safe is it?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by W420alter, Dec 16, 2012.

1. It's become increasingly harder to buy around here and I wanted to start growing. Not for selling, just enough for personal use. My husband is against it though because he thinks we will get caught (I'm planning to closet grow it in our own house. We rarely even have company over). I think it's more dangerous trying to buy it, he thinks its more dangerous to grow. I've been trying to find out how often people are caught growing in their own house and compare it to the number of people caught buying it but that info doesn't seem to be readily available. Anyone have any info for me?

I had another question too, might as well put them both in one post. I know the bulbs I need but I heard they don't fit in normal light sockets. Can anyone give me the info I need to find the right size sockets? For metal halide and HPS? I feel like I'm getting ripped off lookin for "metal halide fixture" like I could just look up the size maybe? We have a film lighting kit with had several hoods I can use so I feel like a full kit is pointless for us.

2. With regard to the bulbs there are adapters that you can buy to fit the bulbs from any good electric store.
    Actually if u have a look on eBay you'll be able to find most of what u need.

With regard to growing at home, as long as u don't tell anyone, noone will ever know. And u can grow stuff that's way better than u can get from any dealer.

3. Your first question for me more people get caught buying on the streets for risk of someone snitching, getting robbed, skimped, not bud, etc... But growing? The first rule is tell NO ONE so if you get caught its solely on you. unless you plan on doing a massive 10,000watt grow, I would not worry about getting caught. Aslong as you gollow a few simple steps you can grow without worry :)

Second question.

Mh or Metal Halide bulbs are used with a ballast and hood with or without a reflector

Hps or High Pressure Sodium ^

You can buy a convertible hood with can use both MH & HPS and all you simply do is swith the bulbs.

You cannot put these bulbs into regular sockets they require a ballast which comes in 150w 250w 400w 600w and 1000w which you must purchase the corresponding bulb with which will be 150w 250w and so on.

[​IMG] METAL HALIDE BULB

[​IMG] HIGH PRESSURE SODIUM BULB.

HPS BALLAST AND RELFECTOR HOOD
    [​IMG]

CONVERTABLE HOOD WITH BUILT IN BALLAST AND REFLECTOR
    [​IMG]

4. Thanks a lot! I didn't know I actually needed the ballast, I thought it was just another option for powering the light

5. Ok another question. This is the film light kit we have (we don't use it and we're thinking about selling it) would it be possible to use this with MH and HPS bulbs if I had a converter? It can take 400W bulbs (all I need is 400W) but I'm not sure of the voltage they have.

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/vl-9004s-b6.htm

6. Do you know what strain you are going to do?

7. Not yet really no, I thought I would get the most expensive part of my set up first before I got any seeds. Should I get the seeds first? Are there special things going on depending on what seeds you're using? I'm still talkin my husband into it so I was waiting a bit to buy everything.

8. Id get all the soil and lights before buying seeds. There are different weed strains for types of growing, i would go with Northern Lights or Blue Mystic for stealth.

9. Thank you, I feel like I'm picking up so much info here that will help me.

10. No problem, yeah i go on here whenever im bored, or high af lol

11. Go big or go home as they say ! Make sure that you not only have everything you need, also make sure everything is set up and properly functioning so you have the best yield possible:hello:

12. If you do your research and set up your grow properly there is very slim chances of getting caught. Things you must do to prevent getting caught:

Odor control (carbon or charcoal scrubber), light sealed room (no glowing light at night), and finally and most important, tell NOBODY.

If you do all that you will most likely never have any issues, and will enjoy your own home grown cannabis.

The bulbs you're talking about are HID lights, like HPS or MH. You need a ballast to run these lights because they won't fit in a conventional socket. However these lights give off the energy needed to get a rewarding harvest.

13. I've gathered a lot about a set up, a lot of people disagree on just about everything though. I guess it would be best to ask opinions here. In one place I learned how to set up a pump system to water for you while another place says I can water myself (I had horticulture classes, I know how to well take care of normal plants but this is a new field for me) I have the opportunity to water them myself because of the hours I work but didn't know if that was best and wanted everyone's opinion. Also, I was looking at blue mystic and wanted to know about auto flowering and feminized seeds. Should I just get normal seeds or should I go with auto flowering or feminized?

14. Well if you can be around to water I highly suggest that you water, as a auto water system can always run into problems and leave your months of hard work dead if it were to stop woring while your on a long leave.

Its really up to you on the choice of auto flower or feminized photoperiod, auto flower plants tend to be a slightly less yield than photoperiod but are quicker to finish and easy to grow. :smoke:

15. Regular- Cheaper, but 50/50 males or females

Feminized- Just like regular, except all females

Auto- Is feminized, grows in a shorter time period but less buds

Im bout to start blue mystic auto because i need it to be a short growing period.

16. For a beginner I'd recommend starting with femanized seeds. You won't have to worry about spending effort and time vegging a plant that will end up being male and not of use to you. Feminized seeds from reputable breeders will give you female plants all the time.

As for the watering, and general growth part of it. It's really preference and what you're good at and have time to do. You can grow hydroponically, organically, soiless medium, whatever you'd like. Cannabis is a pretty easy plant to cultivate, especially if you have horticultural experience already. The absolute beginners section has lots of sticky's with FAQ's and good info to check out before you decide on your method.

17. :wave:I don't know about using all that photo gear but,those CFLs would definitely grow some plants at 5500k they are well suited for vegetative growth. The reflectors could be utilized as reflectors lol. You have 456 watts of CLFs there. I have filled a closet with bud on less light than that.:D :smoking:

18. Aha I love this place already. I think I'll go with just feminized seeds so I can have my own control over flowering. Good to know its not necessary to create a pump system as I'm not experienced in that sort of thing and really didn't feel comfortable with it. I guess the first batch is going to be full of experimenting before I can get it just the way I like.

19. Ok so after talking to my husband I think I've got him talked into it. He wants to use some misc seeds we already have for now until we get things going. He's a very paranoid person, I mean very (it's part of the reason it's so hard for us to find any to buy) and he doesn't want me buying seeds. I know it's illegal to buy seeds, I heard it wasn't easy to get caught though. Someone said that the biggest problem may be customs because they can open your mail. Well I was looking at the seeds on nirvana.com and I've noticed they're not in the US. Anyone got any good places in the US that I can trust to buy from? I like the idea of Northern Lights, would prefer to get those seeds, but I'm flexible. I really just want a good place to buy.

20. All seed banks 'say' they're out of the US because its illegal to buy/sell them here. Im bout to do an order from nirvana as well,