how safe is hps...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by skully, May 1, 2003.

1. Is it safe to use a 250 watt hps 24/7 for veg and such?It wont start a fire will it?Should i use a different light system for vegging?my grow rooms about 9 sqaure feet...

2. just don't touch a hot bulb and don't spalsh water on it. It will shatter then. They are safe but do put out the heat.

3. your HPS is pretty safe... my bulbs are encased in a glass windows so it's impossible to touch or get something on it... when i first got them i was really worried getting too hot, which they havent... a little ventilation, fan for air circulation... it will be fine... i use floros and sunlight for my veg state, then the hps for flowering

4. My area is 8 sq feet, HPS is as safe as you make it, meaning

Make sure its not on a overloaded circuit
    Dont get water on it when its hot
    When hanging it make sure your system is well built and uses the right stuff ie dont hang it with string from the closet rod capiche?
    I use a 250 HPS and love it.

Good luck

5. i use a 400watter and it dosent get very hot at all i have a fan blowing in betewwen the light and my plants to keep it cool i also love my hps :)

6. how much does a HPS cost for 400 watt and howmany plants are possible to grow with one. From what im hearing it cost around 300, so would i be better off getting some fluros for my frist grow and then just using the profits from that grow to finance my second grow for a HPS?

7. useing floros u probly aint ganna get as much as u think u probly wont have enoght weed to sell from the floros u might get a quarter per plant how many watts of floros do u have?
    to get hps its not cheap but its not right thru the roof either do u have a job?if so when u get paid just go to a electric store or a hydroponics store they will have hps as for how many plant can u grow under 4oowatt hps i think 5 would grow good with good yeild and from what i have been told from vataloco is i can use my 400watt hps combined with 120watts of floros and grow 10 t44's with a yeild at about 1 oz per plant

8. i dont have anylights yet because i am unsure of what to get, i dont have a jop but im gonna be getting around 450-500$ soon and i wanna spen d all of it on growing supplies to start my grow, im just gonna use some seeds from a nice sack i bought. I might just go for a HPS because it sounds the best and i dont wanna waste money on fluoros i would only use on one grow

9. i just bought a 400 watt hps system , came complete with sodium bulb and conversion mhalide bulb , got it for $135.00 on ebay, go to ebay , and do a search for hydroponics , u will get alot of light systems