how safe are grow journals?

Discussion in 'Security' started by fadda, Sep 24, 2011.

1. hi,

im just wondering whether it is safe to post photos, journals of your grow etc on the web?

2. I went into convulsions and died, then the police arrested my dead body when I started my grow journal.

Just playin. It's perfectly safe as long as you follow a few basic safety precautions. Don't post your real name, address, or pics that have your street number or car license plate visible anywhere. And don't post pics from a Iphone or other smart phone that tracks your location.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I'm starting up a grow in a few weeks and was curious about safety too.

Is it paranoid to think they could somehow trace me through posts on this website VIA IP address and other shit?

- signed, paranoid person from intolerant state.

4. They would have gotten me already if they could not to mention everyone else here. Mjmama is right and as long as you aren't stupid about what you post you should be fine. Just don't treat it like facebook by updating it every 30 minutes with personal information and you should be fine. As for IP I believe this site is based out of the Netherlands, Amsterdam to be specific, nuff said.

5. Yes.

Who is "they"? Think about it -- MJ busts are almost always a local affair, so "they" would be your local (city/county) cops. GrassCity's servers are in the Netherlands, so gathering IP addresses isn't an option available to them. And why would they try to get a subpoena on records of a company out of the country just to look through all the IP addresses of all their users throughout the world to see if there happens to be someone in their district? That's called a fishing expedition and no judge would approve such a warrant.

Besides, posting photos and talking about MJ are not crimes. This website is an information exchange, protected in the USA by the First Amendment. Don't post identifiable info and you're fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wow, thanks for the lengthy response.

My paranoia has been squashed.

Prices here are just getting stupid... time to get started.

7. I've been doing this for 5 maybe 6 years now with out any problem. Just keep your grow to your self NO FRIENDS no body knows period ! No Names and e-mails and you'll be fine

and play your music load !

8. When posting pic,s make sure your location on your phone or tab let is turned OFF

9. I know I shouldn't post pics taken from smartphone, tho I am wondering is it considered safe if I use an app to remove the data attached to the pic?I have alot of pics but they where taken with a smartphone.Where I am the law is not strict and you can have small amounts but I know young guys go jacking plants each year in the area.Thats what I am more worried about.

10. Just make sure that your location is turned off on your phone

11. If you are posting pics you may want to look into removing exif data from them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Il check to remove the exif data then as they may or may not have been taken while the location was on. I can take new photos without location but I still have lots of pics from seedling that I can't take again.

13. I grew for 4 years before I found Grasscity. It was so awesome to finally have a place to share what I was doing. It was a secret in real life. And being awesome at growing and having nobody to brag to sucked. Just never any personal info.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This thread just made me feel like a 1,000,000 lb brick was lifted off my chest. Cheers!!

15. Ya it's great that we all can share our grows and our up's and our downs as well. And if we make a mistake we're not put down but get support now that's awesome.
    And i'em happy that Canitober has all that weight lifted off gota be a great feeling.....