How realistic is it to move out at 18?

Discussion in 'General' started by 911x1000, Dec 11, 2010.

1. living at home, have my diploma(basically) and planning on going to college fall semester. Got decent test scores so i should have a little bit of money in scholarships. The thing is home situation isn't good with my parents.

I would like to get out on my own if at all possible as i think i would be better off. Thinking of getting a part time job which is all i'm most likely going to be able to find, and get a place of my own till fall. Then getting a loan for whatever i have to pay for education + housing.

I guess i'm trying to get some advice and also find out if it is possible to get a loan without a cosigner. Thanks :smoke:

2. You dont want to base plans around strictly a loan.

3. 100% reasonable. i know a girl that moved out when she was 16.

4. Yeah it's realistic...I guess it depends on where you live but where i'm from its common for kids to move out at 18 even if they are just going to comm college

usually though within the year or two they end up moving back in with their parents and/or kinda going back and forth between home and on their own

so basically as long as you'd have a fall back and you could move back in with your parents if shit fell thru then yeah go for it

otherwise think more carefully and if you decide to do it understand you cant fail

5. To find out if it's possible, go to a bank and ask? I myself moved out at 17, but I wasn't going to college or anything. If I was, I probably would have stayed at home and saved my money.

The more roommates you have, the less you'll pay, but probably have more drama. My first set of roommates was 3 chicks... Just a heads up, it's not as fun as you'd think.

6. In your situation it would be a very foolish life decision.

7. Virtual Reality.

8. How do you know?

9. If you have poor or no credit, you will most definitely need a cosigner. Also, if you're going to college and they have dorms, you can just live there. It's quite an experience, let me tell you. I won't lie, in my area it's more expensive to live in the dorms, but you don't have to pay utilities or food (if you have a meal plan) so you can save money that way. It would also be included in your tuition, so everything would be paid upfront with everything else. If your campus doesn't have residences though, this whole part is pretty much moot, lol.

I'll tell you though, I'm working 20-35 hours/week (considered part-time) and while I'm not going to school anymore and making just above minimum wage right now, I am able to pay my bills, my rent, for food, etc. So, if you budget right and work as many hours as you can, moving out is completely feasable. The hardest thing might be coming up with deposit money for your rental and utilities (you have to pay a deposit on most of them). You can also use any excess you may get from your student loans to help. While I never took loans out in college, the majority of my friends got a LOT of money back at the beginning of each semester, most of which was spent on PS3s, HDTVs, and weed ;)

10. Dropped out of high school and moved out of moms at 16. Went to college at 17. Now 40 and did just fine with no help from parents. The world is yours youngster.

11. right on man, its hard work though for sure..

i got kicked out my moms at 17, then lived at my dads dropped out and moved out the day i turned 18 cause it was litterally the most depressing life ever when i lived there, (step monster)... entered the world with 1400$.. now i have my GED and going to college in about a month.. so yeah itts realistic, you just gotta budget your money, and not have cool stuff like all your friends do

12. #12 full melt, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2010
    Experience.

Judging by your original post... You're poor, have little to no credit, no job, no family support and you're a full time college student. Assuming you find a part-time job that has you work a 20 hour week (Harder than you'd think) You still wont have enough cash for rent and food let alone college tuition. You wont get that loan without a cosigner and even if you did... how would you even pay it back on top of food/rent/insurance payments?

Do you have a car?

13. It's a whole lot easier to save money if you're not the one paying the bills.

All my life I've been saying I'm moving out once I hit 18. Once I actually hit 18, I was still right there at home. Still am now.

If you really want to move out, saving up is the best option. Also, make sure that your job can support all of your monthly expenses.

14. Been on my own since I was 15, had good times, bad times and everything in between, but thats life... Follow your heart

15. I moved out when I was 18. Budget realistically and live within your means and you'll be fine.

16. did you get a good job with hours? thats my main concern. I've worked before at best buy and mcd and only gotten 6-700 a month.

17. I'm 18, but I probably won't move out for a while. My friends/bandmates and I are planning to get a house together, with 4 of us it shouldn't be too hard to pay for rent. And each paycheck, at least $20-$40 from each of us would go in a pot for...pot, and munchies.

18. Hell I didnt move out til i was 21, unless you got a steady job and a good amount of cash saved up i wouldnt recommend it unless ur parents are dicks. LOL I didnt move out til i finished film school though, now its me and 2 roommates. Best part is we All smoke bud. :laughing:

19. Hey dude, im planning on getting out on my own soon too. have done some maths, its just looking for a full time job which im currently doing now. In my situation I dont think a part time job would cut it for expenses, although I do have a decent trust fund from my great grandad fortunately. I suggest getting 3 or 4 friends to find a house or unit, nothing flash. For me that would be like 100 dollars a week in rent if I found a place.

I dont think its gonna be easy, especially for you doing a course aswell. Im in no rush to go into uni just yet so I will reap the benefit of having a full time job. I reckon you can do it, but on your own, I dunno if you would have the cash. So again, MATES :). Let us know how it goes holmes.

20. It'd be awesome if i could get a bunch of friends and room but most of them live with their parents..