how possible is it to start a new religion?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by emperor_dragoon, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Yea any one can start a religion.

but you better have one hell of a mythical tale to go along with it.....

Theirs some tough competition out their already

2. So I had this really spiritual experience last night and I think I'm going to start a religion.

3. Google it. And don't go starting a cult.

4. Weedism, I have to grow the weed to worship and respect its offering.

5. #25 BudStrong, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
    I was worrying that no one would bring up L. Ron Hubbard!

It is greatly rumored that he himself had said "The easy way to make a million dollars is by starting a religion." (I am not quoting this verbatim.) However, it is simply a rumor and there are no recorded documents of he himself saying this on tape, nor on paper. Although he may have not said this, I believe it is fair to say that upon studying Scientology, it is simply a religion that at its root is simple philosophy, with a tree and branches of stories from his science-fiction books. Hubbard was originally an author of science fiction, before he became enamored with hypnotherapy and thus began his journey upon "starting" his religion.

So, is there truly a way to start a religion without first being drawn in by at least a fascination? Even L. Ron himself was enamored with a mysterious aspect of "spirituality". If you have been fascinated by a particular aspect, then perhaps it is enough to strike an idea or two, and get the old gears running. Just my opinion though. Any thoughts?

6. I mean, L. Ron Hubbard did it.  He was quoted as saying "I want to make a religion, that's where the money is". and now you have the Church of Scientology which brainwashes it's members and gets them to give all of their assets to the church, signing their houses and what not over to the church and getting the members to disown their own families, leaving everything to the church in their will for when they die.