How politically risky is it for a politician in America to support legalizing marijuana?

Discussion in 'General' started by JoeVullion13254, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Im wondering if more votes would be lost or gained if a politician took that stance....

Whats the hold up why theres still not a single president, vice president, governor or senator that supports legalizing marijuana? Is there this large swath of voters that will vote against anyone who supports it? Meaning they would sacrifice issues like jobs, healthcare, guns, abortion, immigration, taxes, education, infrastructure and everything else just the stop the legalization of marijuana? How much of a deal breaker is it? Are there that many single issue anti marijuana voters or what?  Whats the hold up?

2. I think its not that important for them.... thats it

We could never get weed legalized in Australia..... there are too many people against it. At least you my American buddies have a chance

• Like Like x 1
  3. There has been bills written in favor of legalizing marijuana. That's why some states legalized it earlier this year/last year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Probably. After all, the people in charge have proven time and time again, that they will do whatever it takes to hold their position.

5. There are politicians who support legalizing cannabis. In the United States' 2012 presidential election there was a candidate on the ballot who supports it (Gary Johnson, Libertarian party.) Unfortunately, many people don't do the research on their candidates, and they only know who the democratic and republican candidates are. If any of you have some free time, look up the Libertarian party or the Green party. Both parties are generally in favor of marijuana. 

6. You'd lose every single Red vote. Parents, grandparents, teachers, preachers, religious folk, cops, "concerned citizens," the list goes on and on. All those people would never vote for you again because of their "elevated positions." Bill O'Reilley and the women on The View would have you on as a guest just to scream at you, not hear your arguments and make you look like a jackass. All the guy running against you would have to do is "vote for me. The other guy smokes POT!" Political suicide.

How sad is it that the people in power make decisions not based on what they or the people wants but rather the smarter political strategy. Makes me shake my head ad infinitum. 

• Like Like x 1
  7. ask ron paul...he lost.

8. We need a libertarian president. I'm tired if this political gridlock bullshit

9. Let's be honest here. That's not why RP lost. But thank god he did. 

OP, just look at Barry O. That fool smoked more reefer back in his day than anyone. Now he doesn't support it. 
    A good rule of thumb for politics is that nothing ever changes, and people who try to make changes don't get very far.

10. #12 Serenity, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    It's 2013. Every other candidate supports legalization in some way, shape, or form. They usually to get more votes actually.

He was always against drug use in general. He never supported legalization. He supported states being able to decide if they want it legal or not. He would have never gone out of his way to put in a legalization bill out. If states wanted it to stay illegal, he wouldn't not let them. 

11. Look at that Anthony Weiner guy. He's in political hell for his actions.

We're all in the same boat. A politician in support of legalizing marijuana would be shunned for "immorality"

Unfortunately, the majority of conservatives look at Marijuana use as immoral to their standards.