How old seed still has theoretical possibility to germinate?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by serpico, Jul 27, 2006.

1. It is common thought that seeds used for germination should not be older than 1 year,
    is there anyone that have experience with germination of seeds thate were standing in dark secluded corner of hause for years?
    I presuppose that percentage of successfully germinated seeds if the seeds are much older than 1 year is low, but can anyone told that there exist seed age limitation after which the chances for germination are minimally or even that chance does:confused: not exist at all ?
    How old seed still has theoretical possibility to germinate?

2. Of course the odds of germination go down with age but it's possible for 20+ year old beans to pop.

3. Not a problem. I have found that seed age has no bearing on if they germinate or not.
    But if you do store seeds, you need to keep them dry and cold.
    I recommed your fridge for this. I've got about 1000 seeds in a bag that i've been picking at for about 5 years to make grows.
    Cheers

4. A few years back I germinated some seeds that had been kept from the 70s.

Botanists have discovered seeds in Antarctica that had been frozen for thousands of years. They still germinated.

5. Did they come out like the shit weed they had in the 70's
    anyone who has "acopoco gold dv knows what i mean !!!

6. Right, the stuff I am growing now is far better, and way more potent.

7. I tried some shit my mum still had from the early 80's , it wasn't bad.
    It looked and tasted weird. Really sweet tasting, got me pretty ripped, but not as much as todays fine gear !

8. We have come a long way.

9. Thank you for your answers but my expirience is a little bit different,
    I have tried to germinate some 50-60 seeds that are from 2 to 7 years old(thay were for all those years in a pot in my basement which is dark&dry), one half of them i put in a cup of water and other half of that seeds i put in a wet paper towel just like is discribed here, only 2 of that 25-30 seeds that were in cup of water showed wite sprout a day after and none of 25-30 seeds from paper towel that is still wet after 6-7 days showed that white sprout, that 2 seeds that were showing signs of life did not not pop out when i put them in the soil, so the effect of my test with germination of old seeds is currently discouraging at all, owing to your encouraging answers i will not throw away some 200 old seeds that i still have, so Thank You for the answers and if i would do anything that is worth of mention with my seeds i will picture and post that.:wave:

10. well I've heard of seeds lasting 20 years in the freezer that has been dry, dark, and unopened. But that's just from what I've heard around town.

I'm sorry if you already mentioned this, but in your paper towel method did you make sure to put it in an open zip lock bag so as to make sure that air got to the seeds, but the towel didn't dry out? Also, did you check the seeds once a day to make sure they got exposed to SOME oxygen.

A better method I've heard of is to use an aquarium filter which cycles air in a similar fashion to a hydroponics bubbler so that the seeds get plenty of air and water.

Nonetheless your seeds sound old to me. Just pick up some old schwagg from a local dealer and grow the seeds you get from that out. They're probably only a couple months old and as long as the weed wasn't THAT compressed you'll be able to use a couple to grow out some okay ganja.

11. I don,t think that seeds in paper towel which i put in ice cream pot did not have enough air, i checked those seeds three or four times daily.
    Maybe the high temperatures that in south Europe where do i live are last weeks
    constanly above 30+C/90F stopped the seeds..:confused:
    As i say, i will try do something with other old seeds that i still have and if anything will happen i will inform you about that.
    There will be time for a schwagg, now i wanna see could i still do something with my oldies.

12. i live in an area that has 110+ Farenheit weather and i can assure you that it wont stop germination. however its obviously not recommended

13. [​IMG][​IMG]

After ten days i still can found a sign of life in my ice cream pot.
    I put that two seeds in a soil into a tiny hole(app.0,5cm deep) which i made with a pencil..
    However maybe my oldies still could live..
    We,ll see!

Attached Files:

• germ.jpg
      germ.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Hi there,

I have found if you drop the seeds into a glass off water and they float, they're good and will germinare.

If they sink....there fucked. :smoking:

Burdbrain

15. I think the point your missing is that the seeds need to be properly cared for i.e. dry, dark and cold, wether it be by nature's hand or man. A seed left in the open over aperiod of time will naturally draw moisture that is why so damn few of your seeds germinated.

16. You are well named, Sir. That is absolutely the wrong way round.

Put your seeds in water for 24 hours. Those that are still floating are just sterile husks. The viable seeds will absorb water and sink.

17. I thought it was the otherway around. Because when the seeds start to germinate, they open up slightly, allowing water in and compromising the seeds bouyancy (sp?) causing it to sink. Unless of coarse it sinks right away, thats probablly not a good sign, most likely this means that the seed started to germinate in your bag already but died in the process due to a lack of oxegen or moisture.

18. bunch of hooie if you ask me, i had seeds that floated the entire 24 hours and germinated just fine... if there is a airpocket in the seed just at the seed tip it will prevent the water from coming in

19. It may well be the case Direwolf. I do what works for me, and I have found that seeds that are still buoyant after 24 hours are often the duds.

20. Yes i understand that but should not be telling people they are no good, they have just as much a chance to germinate as the next.

I skip this step entirely for a long time, just a wasted couple of days, when it could be directly into good soft potting soil thats moist and emerge in the same amount of days it was sitting in a bowl of water and then in napkin.