How often to flush a DWC bucket?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by wetcatcarl, Feb 5, 2010.

1. I was told to flush once a week and to clean it every week along with checking my PH level then. Does this sound right?

2. i have a dwc setup i check the ph and ppm twice sometimes 3 times a day. U should flush your dwc system every 2 weeks

3. It's really not necessary to flush at all as long as your PPM's and PH are where you want them to be. But without a PPM meter flushing every week could be easier than just guessing.

4. i dont have a ppm meter. to check my ph tho ill have to pull the net pot off. is that fine. i thought roots shouldnt see light?

5. get a ppm meter its essential in hydroponics it only costs $18 here thats the same one i use

in the seedling stage its ok if the roots get a little light because your not using any nutrients. any water with nutrients in it thats exposed to light for a long period of time will grow algae and it will eat your nutrients mess up your ppm and ph

6. #6 soapman, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    Yeah you don't wanna actually clean your buckets though, moving the plants at later stages in there lives will stress them out, probably cause a growth stunt. Just buy some florakleen or clearex or whatever you want and flush between light changes and if you really want you can flush before you change the nute solution once every 10 days or two weeks or how ever often you do that. The meter that 2Story linked you too is a good meter I used it during my grow and it never failed me, I just never figured out it's conversion rate yet.

7. ill make sure i get one of those ppm meters.

i do have some nutrients in my water. is that bad???

it is almost a week old now. is it to early for nutes?

8. #8 soapman, Feb 5, 2010
    eh...depends how strong you mixed it up, seedlings only need like 1/4 to 50% nute strength, than you gradually build up to full strength. After germination my seedlings are put in rapid rooters they stay there for two weeks under floros, they get just ph corrected water under floros and than they are moved into the buckets where they veg for another 2 weeks, where they get full nute strength (I use hid lighting, different if you don't) than off to flower.

9. 0.5 I believe, check this out.

TDS and pH Explained | BGHydro

10. i did my nutes more then 50%. this is my first grow so im still learning as much as possible. i did my nutes at full strength. should i empty it out and redo my nutes to 1/4 strength?

11. I also found this somewhere here in the city, my memory fails me.:smoking:

I use it and have success.

Attached Files:

12. thanks printing that off now for the wall

13. I actually run plain water in weeks 8 and 9 if it goes that far. At least one week of plain water to get all the nutes out.:)

14. thanks for all the help. so should i empty the bucket and redo my nutes? its 1 week since cracked and planted.

15. how can i make a way to be able to see the water? that seems like light would get it which you guys said isnt a problem now but later it would be.

16. #17 soapman, Feb 5, 2010

I would think it would be 0.7 because that is more commonly used than .5...well hey how about that man I just read that and you're right it's 0.5...strange, I was using it as .7 for my whole grow LOL

Just put a line sight on the bucket

17. sure. what nutes you use? have any pics.? i would say drain your water every 10 days and refill with fresh nutes. mabe every 7 days if you don't circulate your bucket.

18. look up rumpleforeskins bubble buckets. the sight indicater is just a cheap piece of clear hose. just change the hose when you flush your bucket and you won't have problems with light. or built a seperate reservoir bucket like mine.