How often should I be watering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jsimp2186, Nov 27, 2018.

1. I went to go rotate my plans today in the tent. I checked the soil of the first one as I went to pull it out. It seemed kind of dry. I stuck my finger in it and it seemed like it was a little bit moist about an inch down. But when I pulled it out of the bottom of the fabric pot and I have it in with soaked up to about 4 in. Should I wait it out and let that dry up a little while before my next watering? I'm thinking give it a day or two

Happy Growing!!!

2. Yes. Wait. Underwatered is a hell of a lot better than over watered. If you feel ANY moisture... wait.
    Get used to the weights of the pots (watered/un-watered) good luck pal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yes you should wait 1-2 more days. The most common beginner mistake is overwatering. It's no big deal to overwater once but if you always overwater then it becomes dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  4. Do you have a fabric pot sitting directly on the floor

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes. On the floor if the tent

Happy Growing!!!

6. Thanks! I'll give it till Thursday and will definitely start utilizing the lifting technique.

Happy Growing!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good man, Once you get the hang of the pot weights - you cant really go wrong. Let them tell you when to water.

• Like Like x 2
  8. safe bet is give it 2 days, feeling risky 1 day. im currently experimenting on watering for myself my 1st grow went to hell i watered on a schedule at first which was every 3 days. 4/5 plants died from root rot before going into veg. on my 2nd grow they are doing a LOT better by simply watering less often. only time my plant has ever been stunted/slowed so far was from 1 transplant via a solo cup to 2gals. 2/3 were slowed where 1 was transplanted then topped on the same day still going hard.

im using a different soil brand as well at first i was using Fox Farm Ocean forest which to me doesn't dry fast now im using Roots Organics by Aurora and it drys out pretty damn fast. i water my 3 plants with about 48oz of water every 4 days. i literally just watered yesterday morning but today it rained so thats an extra 1 day i need to wait. forecast said it wasn't going to rain today ended up raining -.-"

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sounds about right.
    I water every 3 days more a less! Depending on your pot size and temps inside your growing area!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wow! I have been over watering! I've been watering each plant about 48oz every 36 hours along with spraying all the plants every morning. Time to slow down. Thanks guys for the help!

Happy Growing!!!

11. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean Forest as well

Happy Growing!!!

12. yea but that plant was in a 10gal pot about 2 inches tall or less when i started watering. it's only about a foot tall and in flowering now good practice but im not expecting 1oz of buds off it tbh. i figured the plant would grow bigger thus why big pot but it didnt XD. now i only water it like once a month. rains so often here during winter can't really do shit to it

13. yea but i also live in Hawaii humidity is what causes me to not have to water so often. humidity here is usually 70-90% in the summer is when it starts to get to around 90% on days that are hell feels so damn bad like your baking in an oven. kind of like the same concept of putting a plastic bag over your plants. it traps the water keeping the soil moist for longer. not going to lie though my 2nd grow is almost to the point that it's taller then my 1st grow and bigger for sure thus why i think it drinks so much water and faster

14. nice fox farm is hard to get here. only 2 people sell it. lucky for me both are close to my house. 1 actually doesn't sell it but says they do i think they ran out and trying to sell their other products before ordering more idk. i mean it isn't bad but from my first experience i think i should of added more perlite to it for my sake. going to maybe try it out later when i get more experience i know others have grown nice plants in them so yea it is a reliable brand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fabric pots need to raised off the floor to let the bottom dry completely. Otherwise one day you will run into issues with the roots

• Like Like x 1
  16. What do you suggest putting underneath them?

Happy Growing!!!

17. They have little stands that are like 2 inch tall and look like a scrog but made of metal. No idea what they are actually called. Found some at Home Depot one time but haven’t seen them since

• Like Like x 1
  18. https://www.hayneedle.com/product/a...qUfkgstbcFGDeCWJ1xXjjGhH_Ig4RnooaAiONEALw_wcB

i use that since thats what we have at my house tons of em my grandpa made out of old rebar.

lots of people use this one but i dont find any stores here that sell them.

Gro Pro NX Level Pot Elevator - 16 in (30/Cs), 725677

another thing i see people doing is using the little hydroponic basket pots it's like a regular pot but has a lot of holes in it. [​IMG]

if you can find a big one to fit say a 5gal pot in should work fine if you want something really cheap just take a few bring and raise it on that. you basically just want more airflow.

i just leave mine on the hot cement seems to be okay to be then again my plants have yet to even fill out these pots so we see later on

19. I use roots organic myself . I find me watering every 2 days with bigger plants . Dries fast which isn’t a bad thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  20. yea i water about every 3 days. it can go 4 days but on the 3rd day usually it's okay to water as long as it's not a heavy watering. im basically trying to water less but more often at least until the plants are pretty big