How often do you grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Doc66, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I've just started week four of 12/12 on my first grow. Everything is going well so far (knock on wood and all that), but I had a couple of questions on projecting yield and grow cycle frequency.

First, a little background. Im growing 4 plants (2x Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, 1x DNA Genetics Rocklock, 1x Barney's Farm LSD), all of which I kept in 24/0 vegetative cycle for 5 weeks. All plants are in 3 gallon fabric smart pots filed with a 2/1 ratio of Coco/Perlite. Regarding nutrients, Im using the Advanced Nutrients line (all products up through their "professional growers level") at 90% recommended concentrations. I had 2 minor instances of nutrient burn (just the tips) before I got it dialed in, but its all running smoothly now. PH is kept between 5.8 and 5.9

I am growing in a DR120 tent (4x4x7) with a 600 watt digital ballast. I used a 600 watt agromax bulb for veg and have a 600 watt Hortilux Eye bulb for flower. Ventilation is through a 6" can fan and a Can 50 Carbon filter. Temperature stays between 70 and 73 deg F and RH is between 50-55 %.

I started growing strictly for my own personal use as locally, prices have been rising with both quality and availability becoming a real issue. (e.g last month I paid $70 for an eighth of mids, all of my contacts but one were dry.) My original goal was to produce 1 ounce per plant which with 4 plants would keep me supplied for approximately 8 months.

Question 1 - My plants have grown much bigger than I originally expected. They are all between 4-5 feet tall. There is plenty of room in the tent and I keep them tied back to ensure light reaches the lower branches. Is 1 ounce still a reasonable goal, or could I expect 1.5 or 2 per plant?

Question 2 - For those of you that grow for your own personal use, how often do you go through a grow cycle? I usually burn a half ounce per month, and a 4 ounce production would last me about 8 months. If my plants produce 6 or even 8 ounces total, that would last a year. Do many of you only grow once every year or 18 months?

Anyway, thanks for your help. This board has been a goldmine of useful information.

Attached Files:

2. You're probably going to get more than 4oz off those 4 plants. Probably alot more w/ that 600w. Looks great man. Keep us posted.

I use a 2x4x7 tent and grew 1 plant under a 400w light and got 5.5oz last time.

3. My last grow was 3 years ago. I've been smokin' on it since then. I'm fixin' to start a new grow in the next couple of weeks.

4. Subbed..... I have a very similar setup to yours and am eager to see what your results are since you are about 2 weeks ahead of me.

5. 1 - it's hard to give a yield estimate, no matter what the factors. I dont see 2 oz per plant being out of the question.

2 - I harvest a large crop once a month, and stagger a few plants in between. I take between 6-8 oz per month.

6. Both GreenHouse and Barney's Farm are notorious for producing hermies. Google it.

7. 1. It's hard to tell how many branches you have going on each plant, but 1 oz should be achievable. How old are these plants? 5 weeks?

2. I started off doing 4-5 at a time, and getting harvests of 10-20 oz. Then I took a break. I then somehow became santa claus and gifted bud to all my needy friends, and my consumption went up dramatically. So much, that I ran out before my next harvest. I've now started a slow steady stream of green similar to ggrower and get a small harvest of 6-8oz very month. If I didn't have my medical mj permit, I would probably go back to doing 1 grow a year and not being so giving with my medicine.

8. let me start out by sayin I'm not saying you're wrong. but I've been going thru barneys farm for years and I've never had a herm or a male.. infact I have never even grown a male in my garden...

9. stop blaming companies its mostly the damn growers fault 90% of the time like i said before sttop ragging on shit you dont like in fact got a barney and a green house in my garden and they are fine wit no sacks ,,budding
    fuck Google personal experience it but if your expecting hermies im expecting a 100% pefrect grrow which most growers cant even get close so they blame seed companies which is dumb
    if you cant handle something why take on the challenge

but im guessing you get a 1/2 lb. of that 600 watter AT LEAST im expecting that off my 400 watter so hopefully you can do more than a 1/2 lb with a 600

10. Thanks for the feedback. At this point I'm optimistic that I'll get a solid 6 oz, which would last me a year at my current consumption rates. As much as I've enjoyed the grow process, living in a non-mmj state means the risk is enough that I'd rather grow less often.

I've kept detailed logs of what I've done up to this point, and plan on posting a grow log retroactively soon. As much as the info on this forum helped me, it seems only fair that I give back a little. If my experiences can help someone else get started, even better.

Regarding the risk of hermaphrodites, its something I'm doing my best to watch for. When I was researching strains and brands, it seemed every band and every strain had some issue with occasional hermaphrodite. As a result, I just bought based on my personal preference (Super Lemon Haze is one of my all time favorites, BF LSD and DNA Rocklock I've always wanted to try) and committed to crawling through the plants a few times per week to check for hermies. So far, I've found no male flowers at all. Hopefully it will continue that way.

11. #11 TexasToker823, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
    as for that lol of course every strain will have a report of a hermi thats cuz there are millions of different growers the majority not doing something right making the plant hermi , in turn, blaming seed companies
    but my friend order from any seed company and take 100 % PERFECT care and you will end up with 100!% bud 100% of the time do not worry about hermies unless you have not mastered the physical and mental of growing
    download berry coopers never get busted just so you can feel safe cuz you obviously have paranoia issues i live in texas and been growing for over a year
    ordered seeds
    lights etc,,,,,its all about your approach to obtain these things not your actual actions
    get it?

and anopther thing if you go through your whole grow worrying about hermies ...well every heard of becareful what you wish for?? i can almost guarantee if you let the hermi thought worry you the whole grow ..no matter what you do you will end up with hermies

let your mind be free and grow the best bud with no worries my friend
    but tell no one