Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How often can you smoke without anxiety?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by hendrix2323, Jun 6, 2015.

1. I was at my doctors today, and he asked me if I do any recreational drugs.  So, I told him about my marijuana use. We were talking for a while about it, and he was asking things like, "do you think it helps you?". 

Eventually I mentioned that I was smoking quite a bit every day, and was experiencing some anxiety, so I cut back to only smoking once a day for a couple hours at the end of my days when I had everything else done. 

He said that there had been studies done where people that smoke multiple times a day actually start experiencing anxiety they didn't have prior to, and then need the marijuana to calm them down.  Kind of like how with cigarettes, people start getting anxious after not having one for a while, and the nicotine stops that anxiety, but really the anxiety wouldn't exist in the first place if they weren't hooked on cigarettes. 

Basically I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this, and what their threshold was for how often they could smoke weed before noticing this type of side effect.  I've noticed a significant difference going from smoking all the time, vs. just once a day, but still wondering if this is too much for someone that needs to be levelheaded at work, and get a lot accomplished throughout the day.  

2. #2 dabbed2death, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
    every day. It actually lowers my anxiety. Alot of people get scared when weed increases their heartbeat, but extra beats remind me it's just a side effect of the pot.

If you train your brain to automatically remind yourself any changes in body are temporary, due to the THC or whatever is in your bloodstream,that you will not die plus block out the thought of police- then anxiety will be severely reduced when doing any drugs. I've been lucky, i've never had a bad trip on any substance.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Personally I only experience anxiety if I'm with a group of people I don't know very well or if I'm high at work or driving around or something like that. If I'm in the comfort of my own home then I'm comfortable. I'm a pretty shy person though so my social anxiety is already there before I even smoke. I think that maybe being high all the time can cause you to be a little overwhelmed and those paranoid feelings that you should only have in a sketchy situation start invading your every day life. I think being in that state where you're docile all the time can start to wear on you and make you anxious over smaller things. So it would make sense to me that only smoking once a day would counter act that. You probably should just smoke once a day anyway like you said when everything you need to do is done. 

4. Well that's me as well.  I have social anxiety.  I noticed when I was smoking a lot, my social anxiety got worse, and was pretty bad at interviews during this span.  After taking a little break my social anxiety got better.  Though I've also been doing some really helpful tehcniques to improve the social anxiety as well. 

5. Yeah that can definitely happen. I've heard (but it probably isn't true) that weed can lower your testosterone levels. Whether that's true or not it does seem to do something to you in the way of making you more mentally fragile. I had to stop smoking for about four months and I didn't notice much of a difference between my social anxiety when I'm sober compared to when I was high most of the time. Aside from smoking a little less I would recommend getting some cardio exercise into your routine. Increased energy and testosterone levels can really help counteract the effects of anxiety that weed can bring about. Exercise is good for anxiety in general really. 

6. I don't know, I don't think I really experience anxiety. Maybe a little paranoia if I haven't had weed for a while and take a couple of hits. When I smoke, I do it for about two months straight, every day. About 2-5 times per day, keeping the high going as long as I can. I noticed that the next day, before I smoke again, I feel really confident and relaxed -- particularly when I go to work out at the gym. When I smoke again, I just get mellow. It happens with pretty much any type of strain I smoke.

I used to be shy growing up, but not so much anymore. Weed has actually helped me open up and become a more outgoing person, even when I haven't been smoking at all.

I do hear about the anxiety thing from some people, and I kind of believe it. I think it just depends on who you are, your mindset, and your general mental health.

7. No anxiety here and I smoke everyday (mostly)

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I smoke at least twice a day. I never get anxiety, like ever lol. The only times I remember getting anxiety (more like paranoia, though) was back in high school when I was still new to it and me and my friends would smoke in sketchy public places, so the environment probably induced the anxiety. Anyway, it's different for everyone, so just try to figure out what's best for you.

9. Anyone who experiences anxiety on cannabis should try shatter. I don't get the chance to use rigs too much, but I find compared to when I'm high on flower I'm much more outgoing and confident when I haven't had any flower sand am just vaping concentrates through my Vape pen say in a mall or a movie theater or something.

10. First of all, I have natural anxiety, as does everyone who experiences anxiety from weed. Nobody magically gets anxiety because of smoking weed - there's something in your brain that's simply being brought out.

That being said, in my experience the more often I smoke I get more anxiety. Also it's not as enjoyable. I used to smoke a few times a day and it sucked. I was tired all the time, I was never getting high, and I was constantly paranoid and anxious to an unhealthy degree. Now I smoke at night a few times a week, and I feel much better.