How often and how much should you water a seedling?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Oye, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Hey all

Im still struggling with watering schedules and overwatering.
    A question. How often should you water a small seedling? How much?

2. Spray bottle few sprays a day depending on climate. Feel the soil it should feel like a damp sponge not mud lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. I add a few drops of liquid kelp to my spray for my seedlings

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hey, thanks for answer. Do you think using an eyedropper and give 20 water drops is enough?

And you mean watering once every day with spray-bottle?

5. 20 drops for one seedling is too much. I do once in the morning, once at night at the beginning of their life. 5-6 drops in a circle around the stem going farther out every day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks a lot. That may be explain why my plants stop growing, Im often giving them like 30-50 water drops...

Question: When the soil gets dry (its usually moist at first since its new soil), the water have a harder time penetrating the soil. The soil starts getting dry after 3-5 days after I put a seed in the container.

Should you still only give 5-6 drops when soil is dry or more?

7. I use pro-mix & what I do is water the inside of the hole (5 drops-ish) where I'm putting the seed & when that dries (few hours), I do exactly what I just told you.

8. use your Hudson 3 gallon sprayer and just spray each day until you get bored. otherwise, about a cup a day. I'm assuming you are in the final container and have good soil. Once a seed pops there is really only one good way to kill it and that is with water.

• Like Like x 1
  9. i drilled loads of holes in small pot and they was small holes 4mm and i used to water every 3 days most of the time, i let the first inch of soil dry out and check it was dryish at the bottom when i would give it 100ml of water, its what i did and it worked

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Hello

You gave a seedling 100ml? Isnt that too much? Was there any chlorosis/yellowing on the leaves?

11. Can you all guys tell exactly how many ml (or other measurement) and how often do you water small plants?

12. i dont know, i let them dry put before anymore and i had loads of holes in a small pot, not at that stage no

Sent from my SM-G930F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. So you watered a seedling 100ml. Was there any yellowing on the leaves or were they just green?

14. Seedlings are happiest right before the soil dries out. Don't just put drops of water on top of the soil. Remember your tap root needs water too so you should really go by the weight of what it feels like fully watered. They won't die if you get some run off. And feel it when it's almost dry. Remember dry spots in the soil can kill roots and cause a slow in growth. What size container. What's the temPs. A lot goes into that question. If your using all perlite say , you'd need to water more because perlite doesn't hold water it only holds the roots. So there's a lot of factors. Indoor outdoor 70f 90f...depends. go by weight of the container and don't wait till you have a root bound plant to put them into larger pots. That will slow their growth also.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ive read somewhere that when youve mixed the soil with 30% perlite, you can give 20ml for first watering of a seedling. Do you think 20ml is appropriate?

16. Absolutely. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to water it till there's a little run off. How old is this seedling. Like right out of the gate or 4 days old. Remember the tap root shoots straight down first then the laterals come in. You should look into smart pots. It's impossible to over water a smart pot. I actualy tried this summer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you add too much perlite the water will legit pour right out the bottom. I did it on an outdoor plant this summer and I had to feed every time I watered because I'd wash the nutes right out every watering if I didn't.

18. Thanks. People say different things so it might be a b it confusing. But will try 20ml then.
    And I got 3 smart pots, 15 liters each pot. Smart pot is a brilliant product.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Think about it this way bro. Seedlings grow outdoors right.

Now think. Do you think when it rains they get more than 20 ml?
    I grow in promix myco , ewc and smart pots
    I put the seed into the 10 gal smart pots right from jump. I just made a thread where I talk about how soon you can feed a seedling. I fed these 1/4th strength grow on day seven I believe , 7 days after the seed broke soil. I pour an assload of water into those smart pots and I keep all 10 gallons wet from the moment the seed starts growing. You should check out the thread.

• Like Like x 2
  20. 20160913_115306.jpg I completely soak the 10 gallons right from the first set of fans leafs.

• Like Like x 1