how much will they smell

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by smokacola, Jan 26, 2010.

1. How much will 4 small indica bag seed plants smell in the following weeks ? right now they are about 3 weeks into flowering now..

im wondering if left untreated will you be able to smell it outside of the house or will it stink up the entire house etc?? they are in an upstairs bedroom closet.

2. Sorry I can't help much but I am in the same situation. Growing 3-4 plants in a closet towards the back of my room. I know it depends on the strain, but worst case scenario would it smell up the entire house? It's a pretty large house, which i'm sure helps a bit but still unsure...

3. whats the ventilation like? is there an exhaust? I'm assuming no carbon filter if you're asking. 4 plants will easily smell up the house in full flower without odor control/exhaust.

4. Alright for ventilation i have only a small fan bringing air into a tent which has a small hole at the top for air to be pushed out. Also my hps lights have duct fans sucking hot air out of them and venting that straight up into an attic. For some reason the attic does not smell at all but i can smell the plants when im near the tent which is located in an upstairs closet of a fairly large old house.

I bought a grow bright carbon filter/ inline fan from htgsupply and it arrived today. inline fans are LOUD ! i was fearing that it would be. After a post i made a few days ago people on here convinced me that this 4 inch model would not be. Its really too loud though. You would be able to hear it anywhere in the house and i dont wanna draw unwanted attention from visitors. Im almost certain that you would be able to hear the air flow from outside the house coming from the attic if i did choose to run it.

I really dont want to have to pull my gilrs but im running out of options. Air freshners keep the downstairs smelling great without a hint.. but i fear that in the next few weeks that might change.

5. I used this DIY for odor control, but it's only for 2 plants

6. #6 darwinphilosoph, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
    Damn your fan is really that loud? Whats the CFM on that blower? Do you have a link to what you got so I can check it out? You can put insulation and sound proofing material in certain areas to decrease noise...or maybe a dimmer switch to be able to control the power of the blower and with it the noise. Although I would use some insulation or buy sound proofing material over installing a dimmer switch, and wrap as much of the blower I could, making sure I dont block any intakes or outakes...you could also hang things on the door to attempt to muffle the sound.

Or get some other piece of equipment outside the room that hums, and you could use that as an excuse to the noise, such as one of those little air purifying fans that people use in there house, they have little carbon filters in em...ya know what im talkin about? Or maybe a dehumidifier or pretty much anything that makes enough noise to either blame the blowers noise on or to kinda cover it up...There are a lot of things that make a little noise....

And to answer your question the smell of four indica dominant strains will more than likely smell quite a bit, enough to be much more of a give away then the sound of a blower. You can blame sounds on other things and people dont just assume the sound is coming from something used for growing pot...but when you smell pot you will only assume one thing, there is pot...

7. Four plants very easily can stink up an entire house, you should plan now that it will be like that soon. Carbon scrubber is the answer.

8. yea it really is that loud.. cfm is only 177.. its rediculous tho.. heres the link
    High Tech Garden Supply

Tomorrow im gonna try and build a soundproof box.. ill get some insulated ducting and do the best i can.. but i have a feeling its not gonna be enough.. really sucks...

9. dude i dont think a 4'' fan is that loud.
    i think the vibrations make the most noise on the floor.
    i would suggest to hang it somehow so its only touching the rope and i think that would do it.
    just an idea.

10. Yeah could be vibrations...I have a dayton blower that large and it is pretty damn quiet for its power abilities. And how bad ass it is...lol I like things that work

11. I agree with these guys on a scrubber.. My first 2 plants stunk up my entire house.. 2nd grow i had 4 girls so i eliminated the odor completely with a fan and scrubber combo.. To help with fan noise, i used an old fish tank stand and placed fan and scrubber inside..

http://forum.grasscity.com/6406766-post35.html

12. Build a wooden box with large 2" or so holes drilled in it to house the blower and then have the actual filter attached to the blower coming out the box either on top or out one side...line this with some kind of insulation, that pink bubble insulation is easy to with, this will muffle the actual sound. Now either buy rubber feet or springs and attach them to the bottom of the box that is housing the blower, this will silent any vibrations...I would make the box out of plywood but anything really would work...oh and attach the blower to the box so it doesnt just vribate in the box...do ya get what im sayin?