How much will fit on 15-amps

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by calinycgrow, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Right now I just am running my veg light but I am about to flower my moms and I want to set up a seperate veg area. Everything is all set up but im just worried cuz its all running off one 15-amp breaker. I have 1400 watts of lighting plus two high-power fans and about 5 smaller fans. Am I going to overload the breaker?

2. FORGET THE POLL

youll burn down the damed house if you go by a crowd guessing on wattage

on a 15 amp service the reated capacity is 1750WATTS PERIOD

to be safe you should do your calculations @ 1500watts per 15 amp service , because there is also heat invloved from lighting etc
    so to be safe general rule of thumb

15amps=1500w 20amps=2000w

go to the hardware store read the back of any electrical product designed for a 15 amps they will state on the package reated capacity is 1750WATTS for 15amps

edit: you are currently running on the ragged edge for your vegging, you need to use another circuit for additional budding lites or anything for that matter

gluck and be safe

3. ^^^well said! a poll won't change a thing!!!^^^

4. I think that 1000 watt would be the tops on a 15A 110V breaker, the draw on the ballast at satartup will be over 10A.

The last thing you need is a trip on the breaker, might cause a long period of darkness.

NOT good.

5. ok this is the deal ----> 15 amps is current
    your getitng 120 volts i suppose right?

Power = current x voltage
    power = 15A x 120V
    power = 1800 watts

That is the absolute maximum they are rated for. I only recommend using the circuit to 80% though.

.8 x 1800 = 1440 watts.

gluck

6. Well I think im just going to stick to a 125 W flouro that I already have for veg and then I should still be able to use my 1000W HPS for flowering. With those two lights and my two vortexs ill be running 1305W. That should be reasonable. My only concern is that the 125W Flouro wont be enough to veg 6 plants. What do you think?

7. depends on how long you veg for

8. well, i veg 6 plants for about 2-3 weeks b4 flowering, but my mom also will be sitting under the same light. Should I get some aditional CFLs or do you think that will be sufficient?

9. Ask the manufacturer or the maker of the ballast how much the draw is on startup, it's way over the 9A running current of a 1000w hps/mh.

The figures you have been given do not take in to account the startup draw on the circuit, fact.

Can you not get a 400 or a 600, scrap the 1000w. Thee most efficient would be the 600. there is a lot of information available on lamp makers websites.

Personally 1000w systems make way to much heat for my liking anyhow.

10. Can´t you calculate how many amps your lamp takes? Surely this sort of very basic science is taught in American schools?

11. Hey SpanishFly, id appreciate if you were a little nicer on your posts.

Its simple to calculate Amps.

Voltage = current x resistance where voltage is measured in volts, current is measured in amps, and resistance is measured in ohms.

power = current x voltage where power is measured in watts, current is measured in amps, and voltage is measured in ..... well volts.;)

12. Yes, absolutely, it is very simple. We don´t need a poll to work it out, is precisely my point.

But then I have never suffered fools gladly. And am now placing a warning in my sig.

13. ^^^ouch!!!^^^