How much will a trip to Amsterdam set me back

Discussion in 'General' started by buddyholly, Sep 6, 2008.

1. So I was just wondering how much a trip to the greatest city on earth cost me?Also how much are shrooms and weed their?

2. Its gonna be a few thousand. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

3. Is English the main language their?How hard would it be to live their.

4. They speak mostly Dutch, but the majority also speak a fair bit of English.

Its pretty damn hard to emigrate to europe from north america... they are very picky

5. no its dutch and from what i was told you have to understand many of the other dialects in the area.

6. my mom and I lived there when i was like a month old or somthing she said the ppl were really cool and a lot know english....i wouldn't move there unless u have friends. or know ppl there otherwise it would be harder.....and it depends when u go there but like a year ago my friend found a ticket for 400 on expedia or somthing

7. I want to do this same trip next summer.

8. could easily be $2000+ just for tickets round trip if you wanna fly direct. Once your there depends on how nice of a place you wanna stay in and what you buy.

If you don't plan on flying during peak times you could save a couple hundred bucks. Summer prices are around 1200+ per ticket and off times like know are 800+.

9. 2 grand a person maybe i think i looked it up and that was like stayin in hostels and shit and shit i dunno that wwas a while ago its probablly more exspenssive now, sweeet fuckin avatar man dbz is the fuckin shit

10. We should organize a GC trip to Amsterdam. Would be fun as hell and no one would worry about "secret interwebz cops".

11. I would say a minimum of $2000-3000 (or more) for a week. It all depends on how much fun you want to have while you are there. :)

12. I heard the chicks their are kinda freaky.

13. most learn it as a second language early on. but none the less as long as you got a dutch english dictionary youd be fine.

you my friend, are a genius.

14. Vancouver's cheaper... lol

15. I'm definitely gonna take a trip to Amsterdam before I die. I have enough money to do it now, but I don't have any buddies to take along with me, and I can't pay for them too.

16. Cali is even cheaper. lol

17. The thing thats gonna set you back most is the exchange rate.

18. Do not get on that plane, buddyholly!

19. more than a trip to california.

20. I used to live in Belgium (a close neighbor to the Netherlands), and I went to the dam when I was 9 or 10 with my rents. Needless to say I didn't have an opportunity to sample, but you still get an idea of the culture. Everyone speaks Dutch. Everyone is sort of arrogant, but as long as you don't try to speak bad Dutch for them, they'll accept your English, because most people know at least a little bit.

Cost of the stay? Let's say you're staying a week, Monday to Monday, and your trip is the first week of December. We'll start with the flight. You can get pretty cheap flights from Lufthansa from California to Amsterdam, but you won't find anything under $900 round trip. You want a hotel that's near the center of the city so you can browse the coffee shops without renting a car. Decent hotels will be about $150 a night. Already you're run down a good $2000 just getting there.

Now some things about the coffee shops you probably weren't aware of. Cannabis is still illegal in the Netherlands, but in practice it's fine to have as much as an oz. in your possession. The possession of cannabis is considered to be a misdemeanor rather than a criminal offense. You can only buy 5g at a time though, so you might be questioned as to why you would be carrying more than 5g. The shops won't have any big signs or anything, so if you're unsure, just go inside and ask to see their 'menu'. If it turns up something like this, you're in good company. :smoke:

[​IMG]

Just remember, the shops won't sell any hard drugs, they can't give you more than 5g at a time, they're only allowed to stock 500g and they can't advertise themselves on the street or even the internet. If you can't figure it out, try to find a blog or something that tells you of some good ones, because I wouldn't know.

Prices? The prices you see will be for a gram, and are typically between €4 and €10. Keep in mind, the exchange rate is about $1.40 to €1. Get your money changed before hand. People don't accept the American dollar like they do in places like Mexico.