How much weight is lost from harvest to drying?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by stayhigh1122, Feb 11, 2010.

1. I was just wondering how much weight is lost on the bud right from the minute you harvest til the bud is completely dried? like 50% 30% 20%? just wondering. thanks

2. i had 530 grams wet after dry about qurter pound and a qurter

let say u lose a bit

3. depending on how you dry and cure the buds but anywhere for 50 to 40 percent of wet weight will be lost once the bud is fully dried and cured

best way to cure bud hang them on a string in your bathroom leave the lights off pitch black and let them hang from 3-7 days depending on how dense they are then brown bag for about 3-5 days then glass jar them for a week to two weeks and you will have some killer cured buds with minimal weight loss or you can water cure i tried that last harvest definatly interesting tasted pretty good

4. 33% is the average i think

5. #5 stayhigh1122, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    so fatskunk....you got 85.85% of your original harvest. not bad. only lost about 14%....
    but 50-40% DrGr33n? that seems like a lot, but i dont know what im talking about.....lol i hope its not a lot

6. Will be 30-50%. Depends largely on your strain, drying conditions, and how sticky-dry you cure your bud too. I like my bud very dry, but I know people that like it so sticky it's hard to light. Depends on what you're looking for.

7. how do u get it a more sticky dry
    just curious

8. .....and i say u lose about 75% when u harvest 75%is water maybe more

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. molasses

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah i'd say you lose about 75% maybe more, maybe a little less. wet bud: a grape as dry bud: a rasin.

11. #11 DrGr33nThumb215, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    honestly it totally depends on drying conditions i perfer to dry them in my extra room i make it pitch black put a small room fan on the floor or my can fan with carbon filter to get rid of the smell i hang them on string for 4 days at 65 degrees in pitch blackness i then will put in brown bags for about 3 days with the top rolled closed then i will jar them and for about a week and they will be ready to smoke and after another a week they will be perfect............... my advice is bud usually becomes fluffy as it looses water weight the best bet to increase your harvest is go to your local hydro store and buy Humbolt nutrients Gravity bud hardner it will double your yield if you use it correctly will make your buds rock hard on the plant and they barely shrink when they dry due to them being so dense and solid.... for 25 bucks a bottle it is an essential additive espically when used with advanced nutrients overdrive .... both those nutes dooooooo workkkkkkkkkkk for me i swear by them and recommend them to everyone........ molasis is also great i use that along with humbolt honey for flushing give that combo a shot for a 100 bucks you will definatly yeild more then an extra half ounce they also gaureentee your money back if you do not see result seriously ..... so its a win win situation

12. You lose at least 50% of the weight if you are properly drying it. Some people like to leave it really wet but this is no good - it will not cure as well or store as well and you are more likely to get mold going in it. If you include all the leaf and stick that gets removed during and after harvest you lose about 70% of your original weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cmon folks, if you are saying you lose 30 - 50% then you just arent drying your herbs enough! in 15 years of nonstop growing, lots of strains, and dozens of back to back grows using consistent genetics i have never seen better than 75% weight loss, and on average its 80%. I know this because i do a wet weigh right after trimming and a dry weigh after curing . my trim style is to break apart large colas into smaller buds then trim them all tightly and air dry. then they go into rubbermaid boxes (a week) and later into jars for a month of cure. after curing i am always around 20% of my trimmed wet weigh. i should also say that if i left a jar open for a few days until the cured buds loose all their moisture and begin to degrade into powdery dry, i loose another 2-3% weight. so: if you harvest 10000 grams wet you will get 2500 grams after initial dry, and end up at 2000 grams if you do a month long cure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1

14. I agree with this, people saying they only lose 30-50% are crazy, and are probably smoking wet buds !

Realistically , your looking at 75-85% of your weight lost to water weight during drying.
    My last several crops lost 80-82% of weight during drying and curing.

15. i think it depends a little bit on your grow style....hydro or soil. hydro grows seem to lose more weight being that it is holding more water and soil growers less. i see with hydro its closer to 50%-60% loss on wet to dry weight. Just my Opinion

16. Properly dried and cured bud loses 50-75% of it's weight from harvest to pipe.

17. we are talking weight of the buds what about mass do they shrink down to half the size if 50 percent of the water weight is lost??????:smoke: great info though

18. Yes they shrink considerably.

19. #19 soapman, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
    I usually see about 25-30% of what my wet weight was, I don't even weigh wet weed it's pointless and disappointing imo. I get what I get, if it's not enough, than next time add another plant or two or three or a million.....well, not a million.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Exactly so :)