How much water and how often for soil in 3 gallon fabric pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by the123321, Jun 28, 2020.

1. #1 the123321, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    I am used to growing in coco on there. I am planning to have auto plants in 3 gallon fabric pots with 50% 50% soil perlite. The soil will have organic dry amendments in it for the nutrients. I was watering the coco every day. I plan to have the plants on autopots after 3 weeks but want to know how often and how much water to give the plants for the first 3 weeks to make sure I do not overwater the plants. I plan to water with tap water only for it.

I am not looking for the water when it needs it or when it is dry answer for it. I had problems with my first 2 grows and I want to minimize problems on this 1 so I am looking for the average amount you do to use as a guide for it. How much water and how often would you water the plants if you had 50% 50% soil perlite in 3 gallon fabric pots in week 1 and week 2 and week 3 on there? I was thinking water it 1 time every 2 days with like 4 - 8 ounces of water for week 1 then 1/4 gallon 1 time every 2 days for week 2 and 3. What do you think of that for it on there?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Some people literally only foliar mist and water the outer edges of the medium to promote root expansion

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I use 3 gallon fabric planters and water to runoff about every 3-4 days.

I go by weight and was just using feel, but didn't trust myself so now use a Postal scale (already had it). The last time I watered the pot was 12lb-6oz before watering and 16lb-15oz after watering. Each of my 4 planters has a little different "time to water" weight. Mostly because I've been experimenting with different soil ingredients ratios. These before and after weights are now part of my grow journal, so over time I'll get a better history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks. I mainly only need to know how much to water it for the first 3 weeks then I plan to put it on the autopots watering system which would water it. You water that much the first week? I mainly am worried about overwatering the first week on there.

5. This is why I mentioned people literally only mist the leaves for first weeks. You’re over thinking watering in my opinion. As long as it’s not a desert you’re fine. The seedling basically has everything it needs for the first two weeks without you. Just a little mist will suffice

I have two seedlings in my front yard I literally tested this on. I haven’t watered them for 3 weeks. They are dramatically smaller than others but they aren’t dead.

I imagine if I gave them a little mist in the morning that all they need

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. No. That's after about a week.

I haven't tried misting the leaf as JamesIII suggests. For the first week (more or less), I lightly water the soil around the stem a few times a day to keep it moist.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. I am actually considering maybe foliar spraying a little next grow. Then again not all my boards have screens so dont want to risk it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yeah noobs On Their first grow lol. This is literally one of the worst ways to water. Watering in rings around the edge doesn’t promote root expansion neither does the opposite that we see that is watering rings around the trunk.
    Saturate the whole container always.. wet/dry is a good place to start untill you have more experience. Organically in soil you never really want dry but always moist.

9. I am growing mine in 3 gallon fabric pots and soil/perlite mix (sounds the same as your plan).

When they were small seedlings, I just watered a little around the stem every couple of days. Really not much water needed at all. Most of the soil stayed dry at that stage.

Now that they're in flower and getting closer to harvest, their roots are probably completely circling in the bag (bag feels "tight"). I have to water damn near every day. The girls really love to drink at this stage.

10. yaaayy you finally listened and stopped trying to treat coco like soil and got some actual soil. Told you it wouldn’t work no matter what you tried haha. Sorry mate had to get that out my system.
    I hope this one goes well for you man, god knows you’ve certainly tried hard enough.
    :Love-Plant:

11. Thanks. I am looking forward to trying a grow with soil to see if it is easier. I am tired of the plants in the tent having nutrients problems on there.

12. soil gang i just water as plants need usally outer most rim is dry ish and i mist once in while ontopsoil so it dosent get too wett or stay wett cuz that will bring mold and mildew and algae. just water let it dry out damn near and water again . also use relativity if your plant is 2 inches high it prob dosent need 2 gallons of water but if your plant is 2 feet high it might. you just gota learn what the plant needs and when by observing it often .