Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how much to use

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by LovelyLady, Sep 19, 2012.

1. whether extracting thc through 151 rum or iso alcohol how do you know how much to use in your preparations? The iso alcohol will be used for topical salve. The rum will be used in candy, but am unsure what ratio to use.

2. It is actually quite easy. First let me say I know nothing about about iso applications. For topicals I use coconut oil, but to each their own. Ordinarily salves would need less potency than edibles. I would imagine figuring potency would be the same for the iso and the rum as well as oils and other items. The way I determine potency is by dividing the amount of solvent into the quantity of marijuana used. For example, if you have an ounce of weed-28g-and want to make 10oz of tincture, you divide that 28g by 10 and you get a potency of 2.8g per fluid oz. For your candy you'll want it as concentrated as possible because you only use a small amount. For my topicals, I use 1/3 strength and it works great.

I think those rum candies are going to be delicious.:D

3. #3 LovelyLady, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    do you mean 10oz of the 151 AFTER its been evaporated to half?

and why do we evaporate it to half....? lol

4. Yes, 10fl oz after evaporation. That was just an easy example to illustrate how to determine your potency.

The reason for evaporating by half is to increase the potency. It's weak without doing that. Nearly every alcohol tincture recipe I've seen includes the 50% reduction.

With your candy, though, you'll need it even stronger because it doesn't hold as much. For that, you just reduce it further.:D

5. I'm not sure I can do the candy, I have to take the heat up to 310 for hard candy.

6. BKS says you don't add the tincture until the very end to avoid the long heat, but I don't know where that is in her thread. What I'm going to try with my tincture soon is to make some filled cream chocolates. That rum tinc would be great for that, I bet.