How much $$$ to run a 1000 watt a day?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kodiaknative, Dec 6, 2007.

1. I'm runnin a 1000 watt MH. How much does it cost every 18 hrs? I know this can vary from location but what do you guys pay?

2. That light will consume 18 kilowatt hours in an 18 hour "on" day. Look at your electric bill, it either will show your rate per kilowatt hour or to figure it up just look at the total amount of your bill and divide it by the total number of kilowatt hours used, both should be shown, and that is the average you paid per kilowatt hour. So 18 times that number for a daily cost.

3. toasty knows what he's talking about.

in addition, it's important to note that the cost of energy varies depending on the time of day. at peak demand hours (usually at night, when everyone comes home from work and turns on their lights, stoves, televisions, etc.) electricity will cost more per kilowatt hour than it does during the day. the variabilty of pricing between peak demand and reduced demand hours can be anywhere from negligable to extreme, depending on your area and provider.

this information should be easily accessible, if not on your bill then on your provider's website. in many cases, it can be extremely cost effective to change your on cycle to conform with reduced demand hours.

-IQ

4. ^True, though not all power companies charge a variable rate. In addition, I thought the rate was highest during the day when businesses are open and sucking down juice. That peak may extend into the evening, but later into the night should be getting cheaper.

It's all academic until you check what your own power co. is actually charging.

5. good point. weather or not the peak hours occur during the day or night depends on weather the bulk of the territory a provider covers is city vs. suburban vs. rural, and the ratio of housing property to business districts. some areas draw more during the day, while others draw more at night. my take on night peak hours being most common simply reflects my personal experience in my area, as that's the way things are where i live. it's not always this way.