How much sunlight is necessary?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by growbigtmac, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Ok im in thoughts of building a small greenhouse this spring, I'm working with a small space in a Urban place. The reason I want to build this greenhouse is to moreless block my crop from neighbors and others. I'm in Michigan, I'm right in almost the middle of my city. I grew my first plant out side this year and right at the end had my neighbors see it..they must not mind....but I do. Plus I want to grow all 12 plants. Looking to build a greenhouse I can take down each year......

Anyway my MAIN question is this: The area I am trying to work with gets limited light, it gets around 7 maybe 8 hours max of sunlight a day. Will I really be able to grow 12 healthy plants. I understand they prolly won't be as big or great yielders but....... The rest of the day it just gets that nice daylight light and that's about it.

What should I do? Regular seeds, auto seeds? What would best suit the space?

More questions:

Instead of doorways can I just tarp over the entry ways? Or maybe I make a cut out? I want it to be sealed but needs to be accessible from the front only. Plus need tarp/warpping all around so people can't just look in fully.

Width: 90 inches
    Length: 120 inches
    Height: 96 inches (would like it peak around here)

So is it fucking worth my time to do this seeing I'm not getting "optimal lighting" conditions all day or not even part of the day. I love growing outside it's fucking great but I'm really not sure on this just because of the light I have. I don't wanna grow small plants that don't yield dick. Max pot I'll throw them in would be a 10 gal but I'd like to do 5-7 gallon pots prolly 7 gallon

20190119_121607.jpg

MPM

2. If spot gets light for 13 hours a day not direct sun, u might be able with out flowering too early. I veg inside and than flower out and I use like a Valet cart at a hotel to take out each day. I have light leaks out there also. To be safe if u could get like a flood light out there and turn it on for like a. Hour a night. This will them from flowering prematurely.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ok dope, we can definitely get another 6-7hrs of non direct sunlight....that makes me feel better.. the only thing that really grows over here is our cannas. If the indoor schedule permits I can totally veg out my plants a bit inside..but no promises.

MPM

• Like Like x 1
  4. I’ve gorilla grown outdoors with some of the plants getting less then 2 hours of direct sunlight and they still turned out fine. Little popcorny but not horrible. Try getting a 3000k -6500k lighting system to hang inside the greenhouse if you want mimic the outside light.
    As for the spotlight it might be wayyy to high in the kelvin range. Most spotlights are above 10000k

• Like Like x 1
  5. Throw in some strong grow lights and you will be sitting pretty :)

I think it would be worth it. You could run the lights as supplements and get some free lighting from the sun. Might not be optimum but it’ll work.

6. Anyway my MAIN question is this: The area I am trying to work with gets limited light, it gets around 7 maybe 8 hours max of sunlight a day. Will I really be able to grow 12 healthy plants. I understand they prolly won't be as big or great yielders but....... The rest of the day it just gets that nice daylight light and that's about it
    IMO it will work not great but.....
    What should I do? Regular seeds, auto seeds? What would best suit the space?
    I grew a auto outdoors that was a free seed, didn't do that great but it could of been inexperience in never growing a auto :confused_2: What I do is spend the extra $ buy feminized seeds

More questions:

Instead of doorways can I just tarp over the entry ways? Tarp will work as long as your not worried about security. I want it to be sealed but needs to be accessible from the front only. Plus need tarp/warpping all around so people can't just look in fully. A tarp wont let enough light in unless its clear. If it were me I would use reinforced plastic, its pricy but well worth the money. You can use it multiple years its that tough. Home depot has it.

Width: 90 inches
    Length: 120 inches
    Height: 96 inches (would like it peak around here)
    7'-6"x 10" is to small for 12 plants. IMO it needs to be at least double that for 12. Eight ft. high will work you will have to do some training or topping especially on your outside plants.

So is it fucking worth my time to do this seeing I'm not getting "optimal lighting" conditions all day or not even part of the day. Yes its worth it. As long as your plant are getting sun not necessarily direct sun you'll be fine. Not getting direct sunlight sometimes (in the heat of the day) isn't a bad thing. I love growing outside it's fucking great but I'm really not sure on this just because of the light I have. I don't wanna grow small plants that don't yield dick. Max pot I'll throw them in would be a 10 gal but I'd like to do 5-7 gallon pots prolly 7 gallon. Why not in the ground? 10 gallon is to small they'll get root bound before harvest. I grow in a 2 cubic foot hole (15 Gallon) in the ground filled with a good organic soil. It helps keep the roots cool in the heat of the summer and warm when the temperature cools down in the fall.
    Make sure you have good air movement in your greenhouse its right up there with light.

MPM[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have grown monsters with 7-8 hours direct light. I have grown decent plants with much less light 4-5 hours direct.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You'd grow nice buds under your conditions. Maybe not as fat as you want, but free light is alright! I'm a patio grower and have found that the real concern would be keeping them vegging long enough to have a worthwhile yield. I built a little relatively inexpensive cob light and use a "Gas Lamp Routine" to size 'em up until I deem them worthy. Basically that's 1 hour of artificial light right in the middle of natural dark hours. It works, though cold seems to really slow down the whole growth process.

I am in no way a veteran grower. I am however a problem solver for my particular situation. I think as you make your attempts, you'll realize that's part of what growing is. So I say give it a try. Best of luck (and perseverance).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks man! I'm glad it works for you. I'm just a person who needs some reassurance ever now and then. I'll be able to bring my plants out into the direct sunlight on my deck or out in the yard until they start getting big.

MPM

• Like Like x 1