How much sunlight is enough?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by virginharvester, Jun 6, 2007.

1. My goals are to finish with a decent little batch of a few select strains. An ounce or so of each would be nice. More is good too but if I end up with an ounce, fine. I'm not a heavy smoker.

So I have a spot I'm growing in that's only giving around 7 hours a day of direct, strong Southern sun. I realize 12 hours would be better except remember I'm not trying to grow eight foot plants. The real question I have is how much it will affect THC production during flowering.

So, will the plant still produce just about as much THC/CBDs with 7 hours a day- albeit on smaller plants and buds- as they would if they were getting 12 hours of sun a day? I'm hoping to find out that the potency will be the same but that I'll just have a smaller yield.

2. 7 hours of light a day will be VERY slow growing and probably cause some problems due to thinking its flower time. You really should go for more light.

3. Thanks ninfan.

I wish I could get more light to them. On the other hand though it occurs to me that most outdoor grows probably don't get more than 10 hours unless it's in an open field environment with clear view sunrise to sunset.

I expect smaller plants with lower yield than a site that gets 10 hours a day direct sun. The most important thing for me though is to have my expectations of quality set correctly. So I'm really wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether or not having only 7 hours a day will affect the quality or THC level of whatever yield I end up with.

4. That's encouraging eightmileshigh. It leads me back to the question of what is most important for the plant to produce it's maximum resin/THC. Do long days of sunlight force the plant to produce more resin as insulation and protection or is it just natural and does so regardless of whether it's getting 6 or 12 hours of direct sun a day. I realize nobody is likely to know for sure but I just find it an interesting question. If reduced sunlight(half day) only affects yield then the answer is of course to plant twice as much in a low sun environment.

5. Not true at all. They only need 4 hours of direct sunlight. Think about, even if theyre only getting 7 hours of direct sunlight, theyre still getting indirect light for the rest of the day. Its not like it turns into night when the sun isnt directly on them.

6. the way to make big plants and small plants is when u plant them
    the first part of the summer is veg last part flower time du to the diffrent light spectums in the sky and when the days start getting shorter
    so atleast in my area may 24 was the planting weekend if u plant then u will get some big plants last year i planted one in june and it was about 1 ft tall and gave puthetic buds and wasnt finished growing before frost

7. Whoa, I hope you're up North somewhere because I have some seeds I'm still waiting to plant. I'm in the South and figuring as little as 6 weeks veg time and maybe they start budding one and a half to two feet then stretch a little and fill in while they flower. My hope is that a three foot, healthy plant will still produce an ounce or two of buds.

8. [quote name='virginharvester']Do long days of sunlight force the plant to produce more resin as insulation and protection

yeah the resin it produces isnt for insulation or protection, its just to collect the pollen from the male plants. but regarding the direct sunlight, i would say 7 hours is plenty of direct sunlight, as someone else said (cant remember sorry) it's still recieving loads of indirect sunlight during the day, so should grow to a decent size, and bud yield shouldnt be too bad.