How much power I am consuming?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by iamoni, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Hello everyone. I am duped on how power supplies work as I am not an electrical engineering but rather a hobbyist or a DIYer. I a, looking for cooling solutions and discovered the inverter technology. If I understood it correctly, the compressor is run by DC, running at variable speed for which whatever the system needs.
    If I want to assemble a phase change system, using a DC compressor and I have a AC power source (residential) and convert it using a AC-DC converter, I do not know how much electricity I am consuming.

This is what I am thinking, and these are just examples for simplification. Supposedly that I use a Switching Mode Power supply,rated 10A, connect it to 220V AC the watt consumed is 2,200W. If I connect it to a load, DC, for example it outputs 12V, and the load uses 5A, so that is equal to 60W..
    My question is, how much electricity I am consuming, and consequently have to pay? Is it 2,200W or 60W?

2. The amount of electricity that you are consuming will depend on a few factors such as how warm it is outside and how much heat you are creating inside. Running each 1000 watt HPS requires about 3,500 BTU of cooling energy while running dehumidifiers also take a decent amount of cooling power to off set.

I do have inverter style mini splits in my house and I have seen the power consumption vary from all the way down from a half or 1 amp up to 8 or 8.5 amps depending on how much cooling power is demanded. Every interverter style ac unit will have its own min and max range for how little or how much power it can consume or how much output it can output.

3. You will pay for what the machine uses at the wall. the name plate will tell you what it draws