How much money can you make by growing weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by bogdy23, Jun 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hello,

Someone told me that growing weed legally is the best business model out there. I tend to agree because it makes you feel good which is also addictive. I have a curiosity if you would have 5 million $ to invest in a cannabis growing facility how much money could you make. You need space, climate control a lot of UV lights, and a lot of security and security checkpoints. IF you were to sell weed wholesale to a big chain of pharmacies in all legal states of the US. How much money could you make can you give me please a rough estimate?
    Thank you

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. in 40 years of growing weed selling has never been so hard and theirs very little quality out there,
    but as a min Im returning 33% on my outlay thats winter in summer is much more

In the us Id wait until federal legalization has passed by then all the noobs (like yaself) would have burnt themselves out ...lol

in other words you maybe too late

the current best biz is buying clothes from north Koran work camps (they die to please) your Chinese agent will ensure the Chinese made label and legal stuff is done, then shipped to your store

...talk about a markup?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Hello man, thanks for the North Korean idea. But I`m not interested in that. I`m interested in making a weed operation. So from what you`ve told me 5 million will get me about 33% profit. Even at such a high level of business as investing 5 million in an operation, I can only stand to make about 1.5 million? Please answer me with a yes or no answer.

4. it depend much on your grow op, methods even market, but as I suggest you maybe too late
    better to approach a local grower and ask, as Im in Europe

good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. In VA we have decriminalization, home cultivation of 4 plants, and no rec sales.

Right now people are selling high end strains in DC (the closest place for legal rec sales for most) for $100-$120 an 1/8

I have heard people tell me that some of the better home grown local stuff in VA "could" be retailing at almost $100 an 1/8, simply because DC can be a 8 hour round trip drive depending on what part of VA you live in. Plus it would be a crime to transport weed across the state line.

My thought is once VA supposedly institutes the rec laws (slated for 2024 but I'll believe it when its signed by the gov), that prices will bottom out as the glut of get rich quickers try to pour in.

After a few months to a year the market will hopefully stabilize somewhat. You have more experience than me though it sounds like, you think this is likely?

Follow up question, there have been a lot of quality complaints in my area as well, do you feel there is a decent market for good product, or is there any other reason quality has been scarce?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 99% of customers only look at the thc % label. Which means just about nothing, but they dont understand that. Quality is scarce because commercial growers dont care about their product like home growers. They harvest early, machine trim, quickly dry, and over dry. Its all about fast money for them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dream on friend. You don't have the $5 million, you don't know the laws, and you don't know how to grow or sell pot commercially. You'd be lucky to only go bankrupt from the grow op instead of from paying the lawyers. Get a job at a commercial grow op and at least you'll come out with a little money plus you learn a few things. Sorry. But if you have the $5 million cash, call me at BR-549 and I'll take care of it for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Yeah I read something's up with Va legalization check the links:
    https://www.icmag.com/threads/growing-a-cannabis-community-in-virginia.380188/

https://www.icmag.com/threads/update-on-va-legalization.17819927/

Weed like anything else will sort it self out so long as local govt chills, as for quality its the only thing keeping me running at the moment, organic and the rep that goes with it, Im in Europe and try to maintain top notch flower for around $20.00 gram x28 = $us560 an 0z less in volume of course ...lol
    You only need one bad grow to loose those clients so again growing correct is a must, often the German or Swedes on a Friday decide to tour the 'Dam, consider the gas price, ...think:
    Then call me I'm still cheaper ...thank heaven's lol

good luck

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Seems to track with things around here, there is a whole lot of "tourist weed" or shitty medical around here.

I've had very little complaints on quality though when legally adult sharing weed with other small growers.

One of the first things I learned when I started smoking regularly, by trial and error, was that I was getting way more effect from good ass 12% bud than I was from shitty 18% stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #13 Vee, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    There's still some bargains to be made in the immature canna stock market, but er is hi risk

is the futures market open to cannabis in the US.?.
    as I've been playing that under the table in Eu for over 40 years ....lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. See thats where I figure any small growers here once it goes rec sales will be made or broken, because quality is the one thing about growing that is much harder to leverage for big growers (the more you grow, the more some janky shit might slip through), not saying that there aren't large scale operations that aren't quality either though.

Also thanks for the link, looks like I may already know some of the folks in there lol!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Much bigger potential for issues too. When you have a warehouse of plants perpetually growing, sooner or later your going to get an infestation. AC fails? There goes 3 months of electricity, space, and workers pay right down the drain.

13. If I ever did decide to grow for profit, I don't think I'd ever go for a bigger operation than I could run myself. I already have 7 employees at my engineering / consulting firm, and I grow to relax from work, not make more work.

I'd make damn sure I had other more stable sources of income before commiting any serious resources.

I'd leverage the fact that my firm does a lot of business with various testing labs, and could probably get a % of each crop tested for pesticides, THC% or other contaminants at a discount compared to other growers, 3rd party tested small batch boutique weed lol.

I'd use the resources I have from my other ventures to go as clean as I could (I'm talking solar grow building with geothermal supplemented by elec heat / AC as needed, even if I had to clear 10 acres to set the solar arrays to get enough power. Obviously I'd have backup sources of conventional power too) I work at a lot of water treatment facilities and have a buddy in the corps of engineers so I could be pulling water straight from the streams of Shenandoah national park. I'd heavily market how little a carbon footprint my weed has compared to others.

I'd take my degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering, and do a lot of the construction on my grow op myself, installing exactly the proper ratio (for me) of high quality building components vs places where its more important to get a good value. I have access to heavy equipment so I could also do a lot of the grading and site prep myself.

I'd highly leverage the social justice component my state is selling rec sales on, my wife is an immigrant, a woman, and would be the "owner" of said small business. I'd use the fact that shes a kick ass CPA on top of that to keep my money as far away from the tax man as possible.

Until federal legalization (and all the tax dodges that will hopefully come with it) you could say that having another Legit business or two could aid a less than scrupulous person in mitigating that.

Not saying any of these are viable or even reputable business practices, but the point I'm trying to make is that you will be way more successful finding out whats your strengths in any business and play to them, while exploiting any defects in competing products (Really play up that fentnyl contamination issue and other quality concerns).

Most folks in my income bracket who have the cash to say "I'll buy a mcdonalds franchise" or another business they know little about and try to run as an absentee owner typically fail.

Not saying I ever would grow weed for profit, but if I did, I'd have all these factors and many more in play before I ever turned on my first light.

Shit did I just write a business plan without having my own 5 million to realize it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Tax code 280E…. :thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Not trying to be a smart ass but you might as well ask "How long is a piece of string?" Besides the fixed costs there's a shit-ton of variables that can make or break you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Well I think it depends on what your goal is. I have seen news articles from Canada. They have the issue of not being able to get their products to market or selling it. Probably because its too low commercial grade.

I am no expert but I guess your money would be better spent buying into a high end small farmer of some kind. Expanding established land.

I would also look into how they do things in swiss and other places.

In Switzerland they produce large fields of cannabis for the medical market in EU at least. Products like bedrocan etc.

Maybe that would be a better starting point ?

You would also learn alot of the industry by taking work at ground level i think.

Good luck, dont give up your dreams