How much light is enough?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by StonaSteve, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Hey, I'm a first time grower, and I just built a growbox for a single plant (flowering box) about a foot wide and 3ft tall. I have nice reflection (mylar), but only a 25w cfl on it for now. How much more light do I need? I don't really have much of a budget left, but i do have access to more cfls and flourescents, any tips?:confused:

2. That's like asking how much weed is enough! Its not an easy answer, is it? lol. One 25w cfl inst enough. You need at least 1000-3000 lumens per sq ft. Those 23-26 watt cfls put out around 1600 lumens if I recall correctly, so you would need 4 or 5 total minimum for a decent yield.

It sounds like you have the room though, Id throw in a few 42 watt cfls; 6500k for veg, 2700k for flowering.

3. Id go with a 6 pack of those 26w bulbs

That will do for a single plant.

:smoking:

4. Agree with the others....more lights are better. Since you have a small box, try using a few of those 10" clamp on type shop lights. They seem to work well and really direct a lot of light onto the plant.

5. Alright, I have one light with that clamp reflector above the plant, and three lights around it, seems to be enough. I even installed another 12v fan because of the extra heat. Thanks guys, my plant should be stayin pretty healthy, I'm just crossing my fingers, hoping it's female, since it was my only chronic seed. wish me luck :)

6. Got any pics of your setup?

Good luck.

7. No pics yet, but as soon as I get ahold of a friends camera I'll post em