How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by burnkush, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Subaru's are very reliable if you're looking for a speedy Japanese car. Shoot me a pm, I'll be on my computer later and I'll help you out with finding a great car for the money.

Are you willing to drive manual?
    If so; check out Nissan 240sx's, Toyota mr-2's, and maybe some Honda prelude's.

2. [quote name='"VapeMasterFlex"']Subaru's are very reliable if you're looking for a speedy Japanese car. Shoot me a pm, I'll be on my computer later and I'll help you out with finding a great car for the money.

Are you willing to drive manual?
    If so; check out Nissan 240sx's, Toyota mr-2's, and maybe some Honda prelude's.[/quote]

Hey thanks man ill pm you tonight when im off work.
    Right now I can only drive auto. How hard is it to drive manual? My dad drives manual so he could teach m

3. [quote name='"burnkush"']

Hey thanks man ill pm you tonight when im off work.
    Right now I can only drive auto. How hard is it to drive manual? My dad drives manual so he could teach m[/quote]

It's not that hard, but it takes some getting used to. Once you get the hang of it it's like you're driving on auto pilot.

4. [quote name='"VapeMasterFlex"']

It's not that hard, but it takes some getting used to. Once you get the hang of it it's like you're driving on auto pilot.[/quote]

I heard it makes the transition between gears much smoother too

5. It all depends on who manufacturer it is, and how well it was taken care of.

6. this. people see the cash and go o.o. then take ur offer.

7. [quote name='"Tamataz"']It all depends on who manufacturer it is, and how well it was taken care of.[/quote]

But how do u know if ur buying it off a stranger

8. Fuck how long will a 99 civic with 140k that costs 1700$

9. I just sold my 1994 Dakota V6 4X4 with 270,000 miles on it for $2,500. Still ran good, I just needed a bigger truck.

10. Oh nice man.

11. Well i am different. I am also not to bad mechanically. My favorite cars cost less than $500. I have not been stranded in years and my last two cars had over 250k. Both were mercedes and were one owner before I got them. Both were dealer maintained. Little old ladies will almost give them away to avoid the insurance and reg fees.

The last one had 255k and was a 87 mercedes 300td. I put 4000 miles on it and now a delivery company a friend owns uses it for open road delivery(gets 28 mpg and seats 7)

The one before that was a mint 76 mercedes 450 se. Loaded and everytging still worked. Even the power seats. 250k when i got it and 1.5 years later had 265 and I sold it for what I paid for it with the air conditioning still working.

Before that was an 82 subaru GL with 220k dirt road miles, owned that one twice over three years and sold it for a grand the last time. Had a total of $1000 in that one by the end and 30k miles.

Many older cars will go for 300+k if they were maintained and the imports had all the extras like Anti lock and cold air well before there american counter parts.

Milage is not an issue if the car was cared for properly. But most dont want an old car for other reasons, like they are not cool.

12. great question. It kind of depends on the age of the car and what condition it's in. Also, it's of great importance how the car's been cared for and whether the miles were mostly city or highway.

cars with low mileage are usually less used, obviously, but this isn't the only quality to look for in a car, either.

the most important thing to know is this: people get sick of their cars LONG before they wear out. and, typically this happens around 100,000 miles or so...LONG before the life of the car is over. I've had cars that drive until 300,000 miles!

Honda civics are really, really reliable, easy to fix and last a really long time...did i mention excellent gas mileage?

I drive a diesel volkswagen, which is super efficient. supposedly the engine in these cars is made to last around 500,000 miles!

If I was you, (and i'm not) I would probably get something with around 60,000-115,000 miles. although you may be tempted to get something european, i'd advise against it for your first car. they can be a lot of trouble for an inexperienced driver/car doctor. as i said before, hondas are good and toyotas are even better. there's nothing wrong with a mid-90s toyota camry with 100,000 miles on it.

the last thing you want is a bad experience for your first car!

you're in a very exciting time in your life right now. undoubtedly, you'll come to hate WHATEVER car you end up getting, regardless. Just remember: cars are only things. they are finite. they will break, they do not last forever.

good luck, homie!

13. Stop worrying about if a car will last. BUY SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL LIKE. Civics, corollas, etc have no flair, personality or fun factor AT ALL. they are like the saltines of cars.

ANY CAR will last when maintained to spec. unless its a chevy/ford passenger car, or anything chrysler has built themselves in the last 25 years.

German cars, WHEN MAINTAINED last longer, and they offer so much more. better features, better comfort, better engines/transmissions, FUN, oh yea, and you dont look like a broke ass college kid when you roll up in a 15yr old bmw, unlike a shitbox civic.

mileage is like age, simply a unit of measurement. not a yardstick to see how close to death something is. like i've said before, i've got a 95 jetta. v6, 5spd. ORIGINAL clutch, timing chains, engine, trans, everything. and i beat the shit out of it... NO ISSUES!!! oh yeah... and it has 206k miles now.

14. just sold my jeep at 222 222 mi. bought it with 150. but its a mathaf.. .ing jeep!!!!!

15. [quote name='"mrbear2point8"']Stop worrying about if a car will last. BUY SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL LIKE. Civics, corollas, etc have no flair, personality or fun factor AT ALL. they are like the saltines of cars.

ANY CAR will last when maintained to spec. unless its a chevy/ford passenger car, or anything chrysler has built themselves in the last 25 years.

German cars, WHEN MAINTAINED last longer, and they offer so much more. better features, better comfort, better engines/transmissions, FUN, oh yea, and you dont look like a broke ass college kid when you roll up in a 15yr old bmw, unlike a shitbox civic.

mileage is like age, simply a unit of measurement. not a yardstick to see how close to death something is. like i've said before, i've got a 95 jetta. v6, 5spd. ORIGINAL clutch, timing chains, engine, trans, everything. and i beat the shit out of it... NO ISSUES!!! oh yeah... and it has 206k miles now.[/quote]

True. I am interesteed in the Subaru Impreza WRX. Everyone mmy age seemss to have a civic. My parents are gonna match what I pay so 5000$. In this price range I can get a older bmw, thatd be sick

16. Stay away from boosted cars in that price range as they are expensive to maintain.

If you have 10 grand, look at cars in the 8 grand range. If you spend every dim to get the car it better not need anything for a while, and that is not the case with used cars in my experience. Most people that have 10 grand and get a car they talked someone down to 10k. Then cant afford to properly maintain the car as they alwayse need something. Tax, registration, titling, tires, bearings, shimmies and shakes, belts, hoses, wipers..... this stuff can quickly add up. Especially if you like your car to be in fully working order.

Just some advice.

17. man civics last forever though.
    i have a 97' honda civic. i got it last year, and after being stored outside through two canadian winters, it started right up. this thing has 265K on it and its only 14 years old but has absolutely nothing wrong with it.

18. [quote name='"LittleWing420"']

man civics last forever though.
    i have a 97' honda civic. i got it last year, and after being stored outside through two canadian winters, it started right up. this thing has 265K on it and its only 14 years old but has absolutely nothing wrong with it.[/quote]

Damn maybe thats what I should go for.

19. you've gotten some good input thus far.

i DO agree with the german car lovers as i am one myself...

but in my previous post i was talking about how for your first car it'd be better to go with something else. if for no other reason, the cost of repairs on these german cars is horrific and you really can't go just anywhere to get them either.

if you know this ahead of time it can save you some headaches down the road. i say this because it may be worth it to you, hell i dunno!

my 2001 tdi spins like a top, but it only has 55k on it and i baby it. and like i said, it wasn't my first car!

my first car was an 88 vw cabriolet and it was pretty cool...very expensive to fix and would break all the freaking time (vw wasn't the best in the 1980s), but very cool.

whatever you get you need to be sure that you have enough money to repair it, insure it, gas it and maintain it.

most people don't realize that all this stuff actually usually costs more than the car itself.

20. Im so pissed, I am working my ass off to buy a car, and my gf/friend passes the written test to get her permit (shes 17), and her parents buy her a car.
    They are all idiots because they allow her to drive around as if she has her fkn license, when she doesnt even have her permit signed off by the driving instructor!

Oh and she already has 1000$ in tickets fron driving without a license, and now look what shes doing.

I am dumbfounded like her and her parents are the idiots of the year..