How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by burnkush, Nov 23, 2011.

1. I see it's the usual arguement here. And it's a useless one. Some of you guys need to become aware that it's more in how the given motor is maintained. And that factor is applicable to both sides....anyone here want to buy a 150k mile Honda that has never had the timing belt changed? Which would you prefer a 100k mile roller 5.0 Mustang or a 150k turbo all wheel drive eclipse that has been thrashed.

It's the individual car people , not the genre of the manufacturer , though we could make an exception for Fiat and Yugo ( shudder...I'd rather walk...gonna have to push either one of them anyway.).......

There are decent bets on both sides of the domestic/import argument.

2. [quote name='"RoninAmok"']I see it's the usual arguement here. And it's a useless one. Some of you guys need to become aware that it's more in how the given motor is maintained. And that factor is applicable to both sides....anyone here want to buy a 150k mile Honda that has never had the timing belt changed? Which would you prefer a 100k mile roller 5.0 Mustang or a 150k turbo all wheel drive eclipse that has been thrashed.

It's the individual car people , not the genre of the manufacturer , though we could make an exception for Fiat and Yugo ( shudder...I'd rather walk...gonna have to push either one of them anyway.).......

There are decent bets on both sides of the domestic/import argument.[/quote]

Sounds like you know ur cars man

3. 4000 for a shitty model before 2007

4. [quote name='"danjaruskhush"']4000 for a shitty model before 2007[/quote]

So 5000 could probably get me a fresh subaru with a low mileage?

5. my jetta has 205k
    my old gti had 148k
    my jetta before that had 180k
    jetta prior had 165k
    jetta prior to prior had 175k

its not really that bad. cars last. especially german ones. just take care of shit and buy stuff that has been.

6. [quote name='"mrbear2point8"']my jetta has 205k
    my old gti had 148k
    my jetta before that had 180k
    jetta prior had 165k
    jetta prior to prior had 175k

its not really that bad. cars last. especially german ones. just take care of shit and buy stuff that has been.[/quote]

Ya for sure im aiming for under 100k and 2004 to present..i wanted a 99 civic but my sisters tellin me its too old and it wont last long

7. Exactly 167,420 miles before an average car breaks.

8. [quote name='"1992xr2"']Exactly 167,420 miles before an average car breaks.[/quote]

Hmm good to know..thanks man

9. hell yah dude here's the picture when i bought it
    [​IMG]

10. [quote name='"steezyDAT"']

hell yah dude here's the picture when i bought it
    [/quote]

Thats exactly what I am thinking about getting..i always wanted a civic

11. Mileage doesn't have much to do with it...as long as its being taken care of, I have an 03 ram 3500 that just went over 631k and I have an 01 grand prix gt with 224k.

12. [quote name='"vapinallday"']Mileage doesn't have much to do with it...as long as its being taken care of, I have an 03 ram 3500 that just went over 631k and I have an 01 grand prix gt with 224k.[/quote]

631k! Thats alot of mileage man

13. [quote name='"burnkush"']

631k! Thats alot of mileage man[/quote]

She'll have much more when it finally dies

14. My truck has 104k on it and it runs like new. The tranny was rebuilt because it blew 2nd gear and the case cracked so theres only like 5k miles on the tranny.

Only thing that is messed up with it is the fuel gauge died out (common on chevy's) and i dont give two shits because i know how many miles i can drive before i need to get more gas.

As said, mileage really has nothing to do with it. As long as the car/truck was maintained well, it will last, well theoretically forever....

15. [quote name='"Jumbo"']My truck has 104k on it and it runs like new. The tranny was rebuilt because it blew 2nd gear and the case cracked so theres only like 5k miles on the tranny.

Only thing that is messed up with it is the fuel gauge died out (common on chevy's) and i dont give two shits because i know how many miles i can drive before i need to get more gas.

As said, mileage really has nothing to do with it. As long as the car/truck was maintained well, it will last, well theoretically forever....[/quote]

Thats cool. My mom has a chevy tahoe that she bought in 2003 with 140k mileage and her fuel gauge is the only thing that giives her problems. Well that and the amount of money it takes to fill up the gas lol.
    She might be getting a new car so I might inherit that one which im excited for but it has the worst mileage ever

16. [quote name='"vapinallday"']

She'll have much more when it finally dies[/quote]

I didnt think cars lasted that long haha

17. #37 angusbeef, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
    Would just like to bring it to your attention since the mid 1980's we have been putting well over 250k miles on f-150 small v8, 5sp trucks. Every single one of them. No problems but the wear parts. Clutch, brakes. Never.

Except that one time replace the alternator like 5 times...cuz the dealership kept wanting to use re-manned units. Finally went new.

[​IMG]

18. So the car that really catches my eye is the subaru impreza wrx. Im seeing them on craigslist for 6000$ with like 120k mileage.
    Lets say I get the guy down to 5000$. What do you guys think.

Are these reliable cars, even at 100k plus?. Is 5000$ a good deal?

19. [quote name='"ivraan"']Well I personally just upgraded to a decent used car with less miles, I have a Mazda3 hatchback gets 25-30 mpg city and about 30+ highway. Pretty quick and stylish as well, I also had a nice 92 nissan maxima with a ton of miles on it and it still ran great. And it is sad but any american car above 100000 miles just turns to shit, had a cadillac deville 2001 and at 130,000 miles everything just decided to stop working. Try finding a local auction website for your town or city, IE craigslist and look up decent cars. And honestly the best way to find out if the car is good or not is just look up 10+ reviews online and see what they say, that's what I always did.[/quote]

I got a Mazda3, zips around like a motherfucker! Perfect first car cus I can beat it up a little bit. Try and look for under 50,000. Once your over that you start having to pay a few hundred in repairs every year

20. [quote name='"washedmothafuka"']

I got a Mazda3, zips around like a motherfucker! Perfect first car cus I can beat it up a little bit. Try and look for under 50,000. Once your over that you start having to pay a few hundred in repairs every year[/quote]

Those are really nice cars I wouldnt mind driving one. I saw a mitsubishi lancer with 50000 miles for 6000$ and it looks so fresh. Theres alot of good deals on craigslist