how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Unclenugs, Mar 5, 2009.

1. haha, yet another Nutrient question.

so far on all of my grows, i've been using the lucas formula (using Advanced Nutes) with good success so far. my DWC plants have been fairly happy and healthy, even without a TDS meter to help.

but recently, I recieved a belated christmas present from my bro, a wonderful new TDS meter! Lucas Formula (I just use tap water, it might not be ideal, but for the price and convenience, its good enough) for veg, gives me about 650 ppm, but, my plants can easily handle upwards of 1200ppm, so my question is, at what point am I just wasting nutes by adding more? or do you think I can keep raising the ppm until they cant handle any more?

2. Hey bro! Lucas is pretty much what I run with - the ratio AND NOT dumping the rez...EVER.

Ok, well in between grows I do. But from when that sprout hits the rez to when she is chopped I never once dump and replace the water.

By doing this I get the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to nutes. If I up the PPM I dont have to worry about wasting it - cause I'm never going to just dump it down the drain.

I'd say if you're doing a weekly dump/refil, keep your EC on the low end. It makes no sense to use a strong nutrient solution only to dispose of it 7-10days later eh...

3. nope, doing the same as you. same water from clone to harvest. I see no reason to change it out if the containers are clean and lightproof

4. Right on bro - so in that case, dont worry about wasting nutes... as long as you let that EC fall back down they aren't being wasted. :)

5. alright, haha, maybe I need to be a little more specific. By "wasting" I mean, that my plants grow fine using the lucas formula, but they can take more than twice as much nutes, with no problem. this means that I can feed them, and they will be healthy, anywhere between 600ppm and 1200ppm.
    so, if they are healthy either way, am I wasting my nutes by using twice as much to achieve similar results?

My question is, should I be giving them as much nutrients as possible, or should I just give them lucas formula; the minimum of nutes that they need to be healthy?