how much drainage 5 gal buckets

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by snoopunit, May 11, 2017.

1. im about to buy some 5 gal buckets for my next transplant, but im wondering how many holes i should drill for drainage. is there a sweet spot or basically the more the merrier? thanks!

2. I use 5 gallon buckets. I have four on the side close to the bottom and 9 on the bottom, one right in the middle and the other spread out in two offsetting circle patterns. I then put about 1 to 2 inches of peebles in the bottom. I find they drain just fine like that.

Edit: I use a 1/4 inch drill bit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. When I used buckets I also did this same exact thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. i did like 20 pen cap sized holes only in the bottoms around randomly. hoping for good drainage but we'll see.

5. 14945597389931781582230.jpg

this is how the first two turned out. these bitches take a damn good watering. much more than i had anticipated. how much water do you all usually run through these during watering?

6. I would also like to know lol, I'm guessing anywhere from a half gallon to a gallon of water

7. Depends but first watering usually takes the most, it is not uncommon to add 2 gallons make sure you add it slowly let it sit for awhile then add more repeat you do not want any dry pockets, usually i have to add a touch more soil afterwards since it settles after the first watering...

8. I'll be doing this tonight , thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1