how much does my light cost me to run?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Poiison, May 13, 2016.

1. Hi, I have a 300 watt marshydro LED panel, its 155 true watts. The people I live with really think that my light is raising the electric bill so much. I have 2 prices on our bill. 477.0 kWh @ 0.151400 CAD/kWh and 1,300.0 kWh @ 0.119300 CAD/kWh, idk what either of these are, maybe off and on peak hours? So our bill is pretty much $300 for 2 months. Now as i said before, the people I live with are determined that my light is raising the electricity bill.

I want to tell them that my light has minimal impact on the electricity compared to what they have running almost 24/7. There's a 42 inch HDTV in the living room thats hooked up to an android box, they are both plugged in and powered on almost 24/7. fridge, stove, washer, dryer, a big empty chest freezer they dont use but they keep it plugged in. They leave a lot of the lights on when they go to bed. we have 2 computers plus a laptop that is always plugged in and powered on. we sometimes have a car battery charger plugged in to charge our batteries.

I mean surely all of this is the cause of a high electric bill? Not just my 155 true watt led panel that is only on 12/12 in flower stage.

2. Two ways I'd go about this...

Figure out your cost to run light, which is:
    $ per month / kWh used over that month / 1000 = $ per watt.
    $ per watt x 155 x hours light is on per month = cost to run light for 1 month.

Another thing you can do is go and replace all or many of the incandescent bulbs in the house with equivalent output CFL bulbs. Then calculate the difference in usage from the bulbs to show that you have saved power usage equivalent to what your light is using.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lol i dont understand? o.15 cents per watt x 155 is like 23 or w/e 12 hours times 30 days is 360. 23 X 360 is 8 grand

4. An average light system will increase electric cost by $8 to $20 a month. Multiply the bulb wattage by the number of hours in use, and divide my 1000. So yours would 155 watts * 12 hours a day = 1860 / 1000 = 1.86 kwh. Look on your electric bill for the price of a kilowatthour (kWh). Multiply 1.86 * your cost of electricity in kWh. That will be your 12 hour use for the light. One day. Multiply the 1.86 * kWh cost and then multiply by 30 to get the monthly total. US average is $.12. Yes 12 cents per kWh. 1.86 * $.12 = 6.69. Please check my math but I think you're using less than $7 a month in power. You're barely using any power. If they want to save money, tell them to turn off stuff they're not using. How wasteful can you be? Not you I mean your roommates. I think they owe you some money.

What’s in a Watt? Power vs. Energy

by Yoram Bernet in BlogPost

One source of confusion that we see among newcomers to the energy aspect of sustainability is the difference between watts and watt-hours. This confusion can wreak havoc when looking for opportunities to increase efficiency.

A watt is a unit of power. It gives a notion of how strong something is. For example – a 150 watt bulb is stronger (brighter) than a 60 watt bulb. Energy, on the other hand, is the production of a certain amount of power for a certain amount of time. So, while power may be measured in watts (W), energy is measured in watt-hours (Wh). A watt-hour is equivalent to producing a watt of power for one hour.

Consider our two bulbs; although the bulbs have power ratings (60W and 150W), they draw no energy just sitting there. But – for each hour that the 60W bulb remains switched on, it consumes 60 Wh of energy. Similarly, for each hour that the 150W bulb remains switched on, it draws 150 Wh of energy.

Imagine lighting the 60W bulb for five hours but the 150W bulb for one hour. This would require 300 Wh (5 hours x 60 watts) of energy for the 60W bulb and only 150 Wh (1 hour x 150 watts) of energy for the 150W bulb. Although the 150W bulb is more powerful than the 60W bulb, our lighting schedule requires more energy to light the 60W bulb than it does to light the 150W bulb.

One place we see this confusion really misleading people is in the use of power meters to compare the cost and environmental impact of devices. Consider for example, an industrial oven rated at 100 kilowatt (a kilowatt or kW is 1000 watts). Compare to a lighting system rated at 5kW. Naively using a power meter to measure each device’s power might tell the story that the oven is a bigger offender than the lighting system and that efforts should be focused on finding a more efficient oven.

But – what if the oven is only used one hour per week? Then it consumes 100 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per week (1 hour x 100 kW). If the lighting system operates for 10 hours per day, it consumes 350 kWh (70 hours x 5 kW) per week! The oven may be higher power, but the lighting system is consuming more energy and it’s energy that we pay for and that has environmental impact. In conclusion – we’d really like an energy meter to compare devices rather than a power meter.

So ,for each hour that the true 155w led is working, it's using 155 Wh(watts per hour). 12 hours on in a 24 hour cycle would give you 1860 watts. How much electricity does my television use? Most TV's use about 80 to 400 watts, depending on the size and technology. Using a sample cost of 15¢ per kilowatt-hour and five hours of viewing a day, that's $1.83 to $9.13/mo. ($22 to $110 per year). If the tv stays on 24 hours a day, then I would think the money is being wasted there. What kind of bulbs throughout the house?
    The power consumption of a computer varies depending on whether it is a desktop or a laptop: A desktop uses an average of 200 W/hour when it is being used (loudspeakers and printer included). A computer that is on for eight hours a day uses almost 600 kWh. So their computer uses on average 200 Watts/hour when on. Computer on all day uses almost 600 kilowatthours. Two computers and a tv is where the energy is going. Not your usage.

Look on the back of your freezer for the sticker or plate that shows the unit's annual wattage usage. To calculate how much it costs to run, take the annual wattage figure – using 1,235 kilowatt-hours for a pre-1980 chest unit – divide it by 12 to get the kilowatt-hours per month, or 103. Check your utility bill or log on to your power company to determine your baseline kilowatt hour rate. In Northern California, for example, Pacific Gas & Electric Co's baseline kilowatt-hour rate starts at 13 cents, as of publication time. A unit that uses 103 kilowatt-hours per month will cost about $14 a month to run.

5. I think your math may have been wrong (or I wrote my thing wrong).

What is the total bill for one month?
    What was the total kWs used during that month?

6. You are not the source of high energy usage. My roommate also once tried to tell me my 150 watt hps was making the electric bill way too high. After doing the math I realized they've got three tvs, 2 computers, fridge, stove, stereos, everything in the house is on all the time, and they trying to blame me. Well, you gotta pay more cause you got a light. Bullshit. It's not me it's you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Electricity is sold in Kilowatthours(kWh) not watts. You're not spending 8000 your spending like 7 bucks in electric.

8. My HPS only uses like $10 or $12 a month for real.

9. thing is I dont want to charge them anything or make them pay anything, they are my grandparents lmao. I just want them to realize how much my light is actually costing them. So they will stop complaining. Hehe do you know what my grandfather said when i told him my light uses only around $7 a month. he says what they tell you and what is actually going on is different XD but i explained to him, the fridge and probably even our computers cost more to run than my light. I dont think anything is going to change their mind though. they can be stubborn.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Like I even asked them if it would be alright if i brought a light into the house, answer was "yep np". spent almost 170 on this light and they want me to stop after my plant is done.

11. I'm sorry I thought you just had Roommates. my bad. They probably won't understand but the truth is your light uses very little energy.

12. its ok you didnt have the full story :) I want to find a way to try and save a little bit on electricity, most of the bulbs in the house are cfls, I guess ill have to find useless things to unplug lol

13. I always try to turn off lights that aren't being used. Drives people crazy but do it. Did you turn this off? No not me. Always turn the air conditioning up and the heat down. Turn off the computers when not being used. Turn off the tv. Be a power nazi. An electricity nazi. I control the power! Not you! Especially that deep freeze using power for no reason. That's what I did. Just be aware you're using more energy so make changes to save money accordingly. They will thank you later.

14. hehe power nazi i will become :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. You will do well my son.

16. #16 canadian1969, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    sure fire way to know, buy a watt meter and put it between your light and the wall socket. Can be had on ebay for $15. Your roomies are douches and know not what they are talking about. The upside of this is that once you have established that it is not you, you can move the watt meter around the house to find the culprits.

Even if you ran during peak hours at 155 watts @ 12 hours * 30 days <= $10 a month
    There are calculators for this on the net, go to your local utility companies website (hydro one in Canada)

17. His douche roomies are his grandparents so... see calculation at top of page.

• Like Like x 1
  18. if you really want to know go lowes or home Dep and buy kill a watt meter

Sent from my SM-N910P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. thats the best advice ive heard about buying a watt meter ,,,,you can also use it on you grandparents tv and it'll show the how much that uses every hour etc ,,i use usually a small 250w sonT sodium light for flowering ,and ive never noticed any change in the electric bill ,,if you do get one of those meters that show how much the appliance is using plug it in to the washing machine and show them how much thats using ,,,mac

• Like Like x 1
  20. Here's how you figure it out...after the @ sign, that's how muc they charge per kilowatt-hour. Actual draw of your item times number of hours it is on, divided by 1,000 is the kilowatt hours it uses daily.

Average household uses 35-40 kilowatts of power a day...turning on 4 100 watt lightbulbs for 10 hours will increase that by 10% (you used 400 watts per hour for 10 hours, 4,000 watts, or 4 kilowatts)

Your "300 watt" LED is an effective rating...what's actual draw? THAT is what you figure from.
    If I remember right, 175 watts is actual...so your added draw, if you run it 24/7, is 4.2kWh/dy...so you're increasing the bill between 10% and 13% per month, minimum.

On JUST lights.

• Like Like x 1