Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How much do you know about the history of cannabis and hemp?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by MissTokeandSmoke, Nov 20, 2013.

1. What do you know? I'm curious to see how many people are aware of marijuana and the history of it and why it was made illegal.

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Honokiol, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    The history extends back to before there was writing.  I don't know much of it most of what is known starts with myth & legend.  The Chinese used it as medicine in the distant rerecorded past but it fell out of favor a very long time ago.  It was used to treat asthma and seizures in India and migrated into western medicine in the early to mid 1800's.  Then there is archeology.......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2639026/

My family was using it for asthma treatment before prohibition.

I find the history of the prohibition fairly uninteresting and sad.  Too many people spend too much time on a sad chapter in global history when they should be focusing on repeal of those raciestly motivated laws.

3. Why cannabis is illegal can be summed up in two word- racism and greed!

As for the history of cannabis, see my List! (bottom of my sig) I have 3 "historical" sections- "Studies - Pre-1937", "History- 1937 to Present" and "History - Ancient".  I have discussions of "keneh bosem", the Chinese shaman's stash, and even drug testing of ancient human hair! (I enjoy ancient history.)

You can get a good overall view of the history of prohibition in this- 
    \nThe Emperor Wears No Clothes      (book - 2007)   http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Granny

Are you up dating the Grass City copy?  I don't do Favebook. 

This looks interesting for history of Asthma treatment with Cannabis I haven't finished it yet.  It is the first historic reference I've seen suggesting Cannabis was smoked for Asthma.  All the others reference Tincture of Hemp.

“Divine Stramonium”: The Rise and Fall of Smoking for Asthma
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2844275/

While mom's uncle used Cannabis for his Asthma mom will only admit to Stramonium which she hated.  I've never been able to get her to tell me clearly what her grandmother used, I'm not sure she knew.

Stramonium is in the nightshade family Belladonna was also used of all the things available for Asthma treatment at the time Cannabis ( Tincture of Hemp) had the best survival rate.  I filled my last Rx for an Atropine inhaler in 1990 or 91.  Atropine is refined from Belladonna.

See also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

5. To get the current version of "Granny Storm Crow's List" all you have to do is PM me your email, or check out the bottom of my sig!  I don't think I am going to update the GC 2010 List- the 2013 is over 1000 pages and the 2014 looks like it will come in about 1500! NO WAY I am going to try and post up a monster like that!

And I don't actually do the facebook! (I don't even have a facebook page!) A sweet gal in Australia, Ann Marie, volunteered to do the List on facebook for me! I took her up on her offer, so I send her an advance copy of the new List about a week or two before I start sending the List out. She does all the rest!  My mailing List is now 28 pages long (font 10, 1 name per line).  I send a new List out twice a year, with the help of a wonderful gal in Maine, Deb.  I own a great debt to both of them!

Granny

6. Antique Andy over at antiquecannabisbook.com has put together an excellent collection of information about historical cannabis use in medicine. It is worth the time to head over and find out about this very important and versatile medicine. It is particularly interesting to look at the techniques that were beginning to be used to standardize the tinctures and preparations in the years leading up to prohibition. Also interesting is Andy's work to obtain an exemption from the CSA under the grandfather medicine rules. His attempts to have Cannabis reinstated into the pharmacoepia is also a novel tact to undermine schedule 1 status.

It is true that Cannabis cigarettes were commercially marketed for asthma relief.

Herbal Relief