How much did your plans change after first deciding to grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WDIK, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Asking the new, personal use growers, or those who have a few grows under their belt.

Since I have decided to "grow my own" a month ago, I have gone from "one plant maybe two", to "for sure 2 plants" to "for sure 3 plants".  More than 3 plants would get me out of the "personal use" range.

Also went from DIY grow box idea to ordering a tent, and have been researching "better" lights.  I thought it was funny how my plans evolved the more research I did.

All of this before I received my first seeds today.  :hello:

Any other "new" growers have a similar experience?

2. I went from two tiny plants in my closet to scrogging my whole closet and growing two 4 foot plants that take the whole closet up. I didn't understand how big of a difference an extra 30 days will add to your yield. I also went from 100w of cfl's to 300w and finally did it right and got a 600w mh/hps. If i could do it all over agaij right from the beginning i would. Everybodys gotta start somewhere though. Burning my plants to hell to top shelf nugs. It's quite the transformation.

3. Many years ago I started my indoor with a couple 2 tube 4 foot shop lights. I grew 12 plants and got about 3/4 ounce.

I friend told me he would help set me up, showed up with a dozen huge clones and a 1,000W MH. It went hog wild and I grew some wicked smoke huge buds. Grew good for years but got tired and had a mite problem and said never indoors again. Sold the light.

Took a break and did outdoor only for a few years then this year went back indoors for winter. I got an old 1,000w MH. Upgraded the house electrical to handle 7,000 W. Added another 1,000w HPS. The whole time buying seeds from Amsterdam. Now wanting to buy 2 more 1,000s and doing away with soil and growing hydro.

So yea, 6 months I gone from outdoor growing to a 2,000w medical grow.

4. I went all in both time i started with a grand or so..made it al back first grow but now i have a buch of extra equipment i collected over the years...should prob sell some of it but i like having stuff like fan, ballast, and bulb backups

5.   About the only thing that didn't change was the fact I was growing.. My Original DYI veg box is still in use but has undergone more remodels and upgrades then I can count.. And still could stand a higher CFM exhaust..

Plant numbers all to quickly get way out of hand.. 6 in flower for my recommendation.. 6 more plants for the wife's.. 12 or so in veg and 50 spaces in the cloner.. You quickly get hardened to high grading and tossing slow to root clones.. I'll take about 4 of each strain to insure a take .. But that means I have to destroy 3 at some point..

As my knowledge about the plant increased and I gained a better understanding on how to manipulate photoperiod plants to my best advantage the use I built my grow box changed as well..

6. #6 snoopdog6502, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

ROFLMAO, oh shit don't you know it. My next outdoor will be insane and will be from kick ass clones to start out.

I can see it now, friends will ask "What kind of tree is that?"

7. #7 corkybuchek, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    plans change and go back to the start. 

I have bought and sold two 5x5 tents. Didn't sell the third. didn't buy it either now that i think about it.

8. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19384233" timestamp="1390366399"]ROFLMAO, oh shit don't you know it. My next outdoor will be insane and will be from kick ass clones to start out.I can see it now, friends will ask "What kind of tree is that?"[/quote]Keep us updAted man, I'd love to see a tree. I'll help you finish it, no need to ask twice :p

9. Started with 2 new construction rooms in my basement with 2 1000watt digitals to.........3 vortex fans, another 600 for flower room, 2 dedicated circuits, a smorgasbord of chemicals, 40 gals of water at all times. 12cu Ft of soil on hand. And an ongoing explanation for my better half of why lmao

10. I'm finding that it becomes very easy to say, "well, I've come this far, what's another $25 here and $25 there?"  Those chunks add up in a hurry.

I love the research aspect, but I'm looking forward to the day when seeds are up and lights are on.

Its on my list.  The other day I took the water line that went to my old refrigerators ice maker to build a self filling reservoir with a float valve but wanted an inline filter system. That's a good price.

Right now im packing gallon milk jugs into the basement, it sucks.

12. im actually finally all stocked up and havent bought anything new in a while..i still want to go into the grow store when i pass it though but i have to tell myself no haha

13. My tent will be here tomorrow, but I'm now looking to build a small room in the basement for added security for future grows.  I'm hoping I can talk myself out of it until next year.

[​IMG]

14. well if ya need any advice im like the master of budget growing..I usually get everything online cause its cheaper or rig something myself..its definitely addicting been doing it around 10 years now give or take a few down times..my sister sings the peter pan song to me "i gotta crow" but "i gotta grow" lol

Haha.  Your sister sounds awesome.  Thanks, don't be surprised if I take you up on that offer.

One thing I really like about this place is the sense of "community" and willingness to help.  Sure there are spats, but no family would be complete without them.

16. [quote name="TinTizzy" post="19394581" timestamp="1390524018"]im actually finally all stocked up and havent bought anything new in a while..i still want to go into the grow store when i pass it though but i have to tell myself no haha[/quote]I know what you mean man, things add up quickly. I still find myself in the gardening isle of home depot every time I'm there even though I don't need anything. .. that RO system looks good though might make the investment into clean drinking water.

17. I'm having a very hard time not planning 2 grows ahead.  I need to concentrate on my first grow that I just started.

I have ADD when it comes to new things.  I have to constantly be doing research.  I have all the equipment I need for now, but I'm bored without looking at new stuff.

It's a problem.