How much did you pay for your hydropnic system?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by krippy, Oct 28, 2008.

1. #1 krippy, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
    home-made or not.

just curious becuase i see some already made for around the 170 range

see im looking at this, its already made,

http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/pr...xProd=2&xSec=2
    comes with the lights. the hydro system, 6 pots(net type) a flowering timer, 200 gal an hour pump, air pump, 6 months of nutrients, ph control, hydro rocks, 2 exension cords, and a manual which is great for the new growers

also, 1 last question, as the roots grow, im sure eventually they will reach directly into the resovoir, is this a bad thing? or would they have to be trimmed off, and if its a netted pot would its size matter? since the roots can freele hang out of it from all sides and the bottom?

i plant to start growing pretty soon, im working with about 5x4 space(5lx4w) and im probably going with some dual spectrum lights or envirolite 250 wat red/blue/white specs..my first plant will most likely be white widow or blueberry, if any 1 has grown those and gotten good results let me know

2. Those systems seem kinda steep to me, you could easily build the same system DIY for half the price. I've heard great things about DWC systems (Direct Water Culturation) which can be bought, or homebuilt for fairly cheap. The lights included in the grow kit also seem mediocre for the price your paying.

3. I've seen worse setups and I'm normally skeptical of turn-key "systems" but this looks pretty good if you don't want to DIY.

I don't know much about hydro growing but the submersible pump with "feeder lines" seems redundant in a DWC system. I thought all you need is nutrient solution and air pump with diffuser stone.

Finally the way the CFLs are set up is not the most efficient IMO. CFLs put out most of their energy along the sides of the bulbs...hanging them pointy side down with parabolic reflectors is okay but it would be better if the bulbs were mounted horizontally with a reflector above them.

I didn't notice an EC/dissolved solids meter...something every successful hydro grower I've known swears is essential.

You could do worse.

4. you don't want the nutes, or lights.
    the lights are kinda weak.

I got that system and it's easier to build it.
    The nutes are not the easiest to work with.

Overall I like the system though and it's paid for itself many times over.

No it's not a bad thing when the roots hit the res. that's what they are supposed to do:)
    that's why a airstone is in place.

You should really check out some of the DIY systems then you can invest in some lighting.

5. olschool, i think the reason it has hoses going inot the pots is for the "continous" feeding, and also it wont have long enough to reach the roots at first, ive actually thought it over, since this is my first grow, ima start small and do a bucket dwc prolly like 1 plant..

to the other guy, i think dwc is deep water culture) but thanks on the info, i wouldnt mind making my own, but i dont want to go through the hassle of tryna get all the supplies. and

yea i thought the lights and nutrients it came wit were a joke haha

6. i want to give the auto flowering strains a shot, since it will be my first grow, i was thinkin of envirolites, since i wont have many plants and its in a small space. dont want em to burn =/

maybe 1 200w red and 1 200w blue? or just 1 HID?

7. Hey krippy when i first started growing I saw that site also and was going to get one but instead I built an exact replica for half the price. If you want one of those stealth hydro systems, just get a storage container (wal-mart), Water Pump (lowes), Air pump & stone (wal-mart), 1/2" ID tubing (lowes), Net pots (garden shop). As for the lights, I didn't mimic theres I just ordered a 400W HPS/MH.

As for the tubes pumping water to the top, it is actually a great idea and actually takes out the need of a air pump. As the water is pumped to the top and drains down into the resivoir it actually creates the same bubbles an air stone does and continiously feeds/waters at the same time.

8. Could you explain this a little more? I don't fully understand.

9. he means, running a hose to each plant, with a flow of water, the water drips off the plants and creates a bubble effect. oxygenating the water.

well thanks for the advice also biglotec, but i cant, well i can but i really dont want to use use HPS lighting becuase its a very small area and i know those things get hot. it would behard for me to control the temp unless i left the A.C. on all the time (window unit)

i guess having a window unit is beneficial becuase it has a temp guage n it.. goes any where from 60 degree's to 85. the room is not very big and it will be in a closet that is about 5x4, o thats why i was thinking 2 envirolites or just 1 MH