How much co2 does an average dope plant use

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by still in the cl, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Title says it all really
    as in like ppm per hour or how ever you would measure it

2. 1,500 ppm seems to be the general consensus. That's a maintained value. From what i understand anything less would be a waste of time, anything more would be a waste of CO2.

Hope that helps.:)

3. Unfortunately you have misunderstood the question i nedd and amount used an hour or day ect so i can calculate the amount of co2 i need to inject per hr or day

4. #4 ricard0, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
    Unfortunately you have mistaken the principle of "parts per million" with "cubic feet per hour". PPM is a ratio. Cubic Feet is a volume, Cubic Feet per Hour, a rate. In order to determine how much gas has been used/needed, you'd have to compare a set output (metering the flow) to the amount depleted in the tank over a given amount of time. Even then, you'd need a ppm meter to tell how much over/undershoot you were experiencing. There's just no magic number. It's something you'll likely have to fine tune. Or just get a fancy ppm set-point controller.

I'm just guessing you have some kind of timer/timer co2 controller and you'd like to know how long to leave it on and how many times a day.

Unfortunately that'll change depending on a number of variables including the cubic footage of your grow, your ventilation requirements and methods, and the limitations of your equipment among others.

The blanket answer for those shooting in the dark is 15 minutes on, 3 to 6 times daily. I've heard some go 15 minutes for every hour of the cycle which i'm guessing is overkill for most modest grows. Guessing may work and you might get lucky.

This may be of some help ---> http://www.hydrofarm.com/docs/31240_CO2-4Instructions.pdf

Good luck.:)

5. Cool thanks for that mate thats all i wanted really a ballpark figure to start from then when its been going for a while ill test the air with one of those disposable co2 test things to see if around about right

6. Bro, bottom line, if you're going to invest in CO2 - it is a TOTAL WASTE unless you do the following:

1 - buy a regulator AND CO2 monitor
    2 - Keep the ppm's at around 1800ppm, making SURE the exhaust fans are off
    3 - Let temps increase to around 90 during CO2 flood
    4 - Increase nutes to compensate for increased metabolism
    5 - Stand back and watch the magic

If you're concerned about how many tanks to use, buy 2. CO2 is not for the home grower who only wants to spend 30.00 on his setup. It's pricey...however, when done properly, is INSANELY kick ass!

7. Increase temp to 90? Why the increase in temp?

8. #8 ricard0, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
    No problem. You could also check out my thread about CO2 tubing. ---> http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/307390-co2-tubing-whats-deal.html#post3631614
    There's a link in jonaconda's post #5 to some vids with some "Mr. Green" guy telling you all about CO2 usage using a timer.

Listen to Klutter he's right about the gear.

90º during CO2 flood though? Care to elaborate?

Say i had my CO2 equipment connected to a environmental/CO2 controller. My exhaust fans would come on way before the temp. hit 90º, shutting off the CO2. How might one go about compensating for such a high temp. spike (if you're running average temps 75ºish) in this kind of situation?
    :wave:

9. Can i just use a series of tubes (just regular air pump, aqarium tubing) and just stick the tubes all up in the girl, amonst the branches and stems so it just kinda leaks out directly on her?

10. #10 ricard0, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
    CO2 is heavier than air so you want your outlet near the top of your space. Most common way to evenly disperse the CO2 is to make a diffuser out of tubing and mount it at the top of your space. Drilling holes in the tubing every few inches (6-18" or whatever makes you feel accomplished) is also a common step in making a diffuser. Hope that helps.

Did you watch the vid in the thread i posted?? ---> http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/307390-co2-tubing-whats-deal.html#post3631614

11. I've heard of this method before..
    but what i had planned on doing was leaving my exhaust fan on at all times which is located up at the top of my area.
    I wanted to leave to co2 on a slow leak all day long and if i put the tubes at the bottom of the girls the exhaust fan up at the top sucks all air up to the top of the chamber so it will suck up through the canopy.
    Do you think this would work.

12. #12 Rumpleforeskin, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    CO2 enrichment will allow you to grow in spite of high temp temperatures (90F). High temps won't help your grow, CO2 enrighment or not. Folks get mixed up on this point it seems. Never trade high temps for CO2 enrichment.

13. That was my understanding. Thanx for the words of clarity Uncle Rumple.

14. #14 ricard0, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    Far be it from me to tell you want to or not to do, but i don't think what you're suggesting will be plausible. It is possible, but if the exhaust is continually removing the co2 from the space, the plants won't get a chance to take the "gas bath" they really need. It's about saturation. Like taking one huge really good breath instead of a bunch of wheezes. ;)

15. Thanks Ricard0, that makes sense

16. Hey killer - this is a really, sorry to say, horrible idea.

The whole point of adding CO2 is to maintain the ppm's.... by exhausting you're just wasting it. and unless you have an unlimited supply of CO2 tanks for free, it just makes absolutely no sense why you would do that..... kinda like adding nutes to your plant's rez only to keep flushing it with clean water. <Shrug>

As for the temps - READ READ READ. I certainly did not 'wing it' with CO2. I studied everything I could find on how to do it properly. The increased PPM will allow the plant to handle much much higher temps than normal.

Also, what I do is shut off the exhaust fan (on a timer), turn on CO2 tank (timer) and let it start filling the room until the monitor shuts it down at the right ppm's.

During this time I leave the oscillating fan ON! This way, ya dont need to fuck around with stringing tubes all over the place like some spider web. Just have a single tube blowing it out...the fan will move the CO2 around..... OH, make sure the oscillating fan is ON THE FLOOR pointing up. Problem solved.

One other thing before I forget - if this is dro and you have your air pumps in the same gro room - MOVE THEM. Otherwise, they will end up pumping CO2 into the root zone. Wont kill em, but certainly is not what the ladies want.

17. I use a two burner propane CO2 burner. Its connected to a Matador CO2 monitor that kicks one once the ppm drops below 1400. The temperature in the warmest spot in my room (corner between two 1000w lights and the co2 burner) goes as high as 95. Unfortunately the A/C vents out a lot of co2 so the burner ends up running longer than it has to. Overall though i go through a propane tank once a week. I think I will take the advice of setting it at 1800 and see if it makes a difference.