How much CFM's would I need for a 1000watt?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by whymsicalwizard, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I'm going to have a 1000 watt mh/hps set up and a carbon scrubber will be attached. What is the minimum amount of CFM's do I need out of an exhaust fan to create enough negative pressure To keep smell down? Heat is not so much a problem for me...

2. I think 500cfm 6inch would be good

3. Darn I was hoping I could get away with something smaller. Fans are pretty pricey!

4. I would use at least 400 if not 450 cfms. 500 could work depending on where you're growing...

5. Attached Files:

6. Thats exactly what you want.

Filter -> Light reflector w/ glass panel -> ducting -> fan.

This way the fan sucks air and not pushes. :)

7. #7 pedrowarez, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sound advice here...^

IMHO, It's best to have the fan sucking the heated air. Don't worry about the heat on the fan, as great fans will move so much air, the fan should not prematurely wear out.

I use the Hydrofarm 6" inline fan for the 1k HPS. They work very well.

8. #8 whymsicalwizard, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    Question: Do you use this fan [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Air-inch--Line/dp/B002JQ14F8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1310533799&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Hydrofarm Active Air 6 inch In-Line Fan 400 CFM: Home & Garden[/ame]
    or this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-ACFB6-In-Line-Booster-Fan/dp/B001G6W76M/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1310533881&sr=1-2[/ame]
    And also, which one would create less noise?
    thanks for the comments and info everyone who has helped! Positive vibrations goes out to all!

9. #9 pedrowarez, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I use the one from the first link. It's an Active Air made by Hydrofarm. It is VERY quiet for how much air it moves and it cools the 1k HPS's great.(cooling 6" XXXL Magnum hoods)

The other is a booster fan. It will work if your ducting run is really short and so are your funds. Otherwise, don't bother with the booster fan, they won't move enough air and they'll be louder than the turbine fan(personal experience).

10. Awesome, thanks for the information! I do have a short duct system but Iwould prefer less noise so I'll go with the active air. Thanks again for your help.