How metal is this? \m/

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by NtothePtotheK, Feb 3, 2004.

1. I'm listening to Gardenian whilst I do a little gardening ;)

2. You sir are worse than Hitler.

3. I don't get it.. and... ouch

4. Gardenian, not too bad but what's with that female singer that pops back in and out?? You should check out other Swedish metal bands such as Darkane, Meshuggah, old Soilwork, and The Haunted. But maybe you already know them.

5. Nothing wrong with female vocal accompaniment, I don't think that makes it any less metal, just versatile. I used to be a big "defender of tr00ness" but when you get into the mindset that metal has to be a particular way and you only listen to metal that fits those guidelines, metal gets boring really fast.

And for anyone reading this who isn't well versed in the incredibly broad genre that is "metal", I'm not talking about 80s hairbands or the latest teen angst troop fronted by Corey Whatever. :rolleyes:

By the way, I was listening to all those other bands before I even really got into Gardenian. :D I even have a personalized Caparison pick that Peter Wichers threw out into the audience when I saw Soilwork live (before they became the latest teen angst troop...)

Surprise ;)

6. I was just kidding before. Some chick says that to Homer in The Simpsons because he's smoking two cigs at the same time. I laughed.

Carry on, Lads.

7. oh *lol* I remember that, now.. don't watch much simpsons over here

8. Well no, you got me wrong. That female singer just ruined what they had going IMO. aka - she made the song sound like shit.

You can make fun of "the latest teen angst troop" but that just shows you still seem to be a "defender of tr00ness"

I mean it's fucking metal, yea the singers are going to sound pissed off! No fucking shit. Doesn't make them bad.

BTW I do enjoy some of Angela's vocals from Arch Enemy, I never said I hated all female vocalists in metal, you did.

And you comment about Soilwork is way off, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about there.

9. Crisis
    Arch Enemy
    Walls of Jericho
    still breathing
    Otep (decent)

all good chick vocals

10. About the female singer in Gardenian - that's fine, you should have said that in the first place. Just make sure when you're stating your opinion that it doesn't get mistaken for fact.

By "teen angst troop [OPINION]" I am talking about formulaic [OPINION] bands with lyrics specifically targetted towards young teenagers [FACT], usually accompanied by very non-technical, repetitive music [FACT]. I wasn't talking about the growling vocal style at all. I'm not a teenager [FACT], and I AM a musician [OPINION], so the stuff just doesn't appeal to me - and it's not supposed to. And you're right - I can make fun of them ;) not because they're "un-tr00 [OPINION]" but because they "bore me [FACT]". Plug that into your solid state amp and power-chord it ;)

As for Soilwork... There's little denying their style has changed in order to fit the popular nu-metal formula in the US. In Flames tried to do this too (and failed miserably, in my OPINION). I've been listening to Soilwork since Steel Bath Suicide came out, and although what I said is well-supported by many metal fans, I was still speaking from my OPINION - Therefore, I do know what I'm talking about ;)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let you tell me I can't speak my mind. Let's be friends, huh? Fighting is lame.

11. Hmmm, you make it tough with comments like this. When did I tell you you can't speak your mind?? BTW I was never fighting, just discussing, moreorless just typing.

Edit: You still get props for liking Swedish Metal though.

Edit2: I do agree that Soilworks last cd sucks, but the one before it, NBC, fucking rocks! And Devin Townsend is producing the next cd(he was on NBC) which you probably know.

12. When I get sworn at I consider that hostile. In all fairness I think we both made some harsh comments. Definitely not a direction I want to pursue... just forget everything I said before. I take it back. Truce!

IMO NBC was great and Devy = production god, no doubt about it. Now that you mention that, I'm anxious to see if Soilwork will be truer to themselves and their abilities this time around. I'm sure Devin wouldn't do their album if they weren't, given his long-time stance on corporate tailoring in the music world (something I myself can't stand).

Did you know Peter Tagtgren also took a hand in NBC? Fun fact, I guess, for fans of Hypocrisy (whose last album, like Figure Number Five, also had a few questionable tracks and watered-down songwriting). :/

13. Okay fine, truce. But not until after I make it clear that I never swore AT you.

Hypocrisy sucks live.