How many ways can Gov't screw up legalization?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by cigarjack, Dec 30, 2022.

1. The Cannabis Administration & Opportunity Act (CAOA) was officially filed July 21. The bill would legalize cannabis nationwide, ending federal prohibition and expunging records of some cannabis offenders. The CAOA also lays out a framework to establish a federal cannabis tax and create FDA regulations for cannabis products.
    A draft of the CAOA began circulating more than a year ago. After 1,800 comments from lawmakers, the federal legalization bill has grown from the 163-page original to 296 pages in the newly-released final draft.

296 pages!! Only gov't could screw up legalization with 296 pages. Will we have to pass it first to see what's in it? The Constitution, our framwork for the entire legal system and way of life, only took a couple pages.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. main problem is its full of stuff based on minorities and not just about cannabis .... full of fluff that takes power away from those in charge now and puts that power into previously prosecuted marijuana offenders' hands. not that the people held down so long should not succeed but making laws that cater to the minorities is not gonna fly

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. I won't support any cannabis legislation that lists "prioritize restorative and economic justice" as one of it's four stated goals. I'm all for justice but just make the damn rules the same for everyone, we're all individuals and shouldn't be treated any differently regardless of whatever identity group they stick us in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Could you elaborate on that? This confuses me knowing that the CAOA, which was written by Republicans, and the MORE Act, which was written by Democrats, did not pass and become law. Both are for legalization of Cannabis. What's the hold up?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 zeuspaul, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of a good start. Sometimes you have to compromise to get something over the line.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Since the US wrote the rules for slavery, school segregation, and the drug war for “everybody” equally and so well, I don’t really sweat anybody who suffered the drug war getting a good slice of pie. I do however prefer it left out of the initial legalization and let the industry get rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dems add in the minority laws and republicans do not approve

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 Cactus Ed, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    I think both the MORE Act and the CAOA were written by Dems. Any clear thinking person wouldn't approve of laws promoting discrimination. Laws should apply to everyone or no one and should certainly be color blind. Giving one person a hand up based on skin color means stepping on another person of a different skin color. That seems to be why Republicans don't approve of the recent trend of Democrats codifying discrimination when writing drug laws. Discrimination can't cure discrimination, it always makes it worse and if liberals still believed in traditional liberal values they'd know better.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Seems kinda absurd. Ours is only 117 pages and it comes in 2 languages!!

Seriously...
    Cannabis Act

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Canada is known for it's bilingual heritage. French/English. The U.S. is suppose to be a melting pot. But some people are still stuck in the 1700s.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah, I can see the problem with that. I guess they want it all or none. I guess they have never heard of doing just a little at a time to accomplish their goals.

• Like Like x 2
  12. seems that all that is added in as fluff to see what the other party will accept or not ... at least once a law is set in place it can have work arounds ... most cannabis laws start out with mass limits, restrictions then with acceptance loosen up those somewhat over time ...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Indiana will be the last state to legalize, and then with severe negotiations, and then by prescription only. Big Pharma will get their grubby paws on it and jack up the price and lower the THC level.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I don’t participate in the politics threads, but I agree with @Cactus Ed 100 friggin % on this one. All of these politicians huffing and puffing all of the sudden so they can jump on the diversity bandwagon pisses me off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cannabis - The Only plant in existence that you need a medical recommendation from a doctor to access. all while in no way whatsoever has any doctor in America been taught to treat conditions with any plants whatsoever, the entirety of med school is conditions and then treatments with synthetic medications only ... I've seen mention of a one day class in med school that shows how plants and natural compounds were once used for treatments but it is not main stream curriculum ... Med school does not even teach the Endocannabinoid system YET!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. So true!! I asked my youngest daughter, (I have two), if the University she was going to taught about cannabis and she said no, they didn't have it in the curriculum. And, of course, Big Pharma companies are donating huge amounts in the anti-legalization campaign. And guess who has a their headquarters located in Indianapolis? Eli Lilly. THAT'S WHY Senator Todd Young (R) of Indiana is against legalizing even medical cannabis. When asked, during a debate against Mayor Tom McDermott, JR (D), who favors legalization, about medical marijuana. He shook his head, looked down at his papers, played with them, and nervously said that he wants it to be legal on a federal level first. Well.... he's on the Finance Committee and the MORE Act was sitting in there until it died. The same goes for Kentucky. Sen. Damon Thayer (R) owns a distillery in Kentucky and he opposes legalization even for medical. He said, during a meeting about issues in Kentucky, that he opposes cannabis legalization in any form and "If the voters of Kentucky don't like that, they can take it out on me in the next election." I hope they do!! Looks like I will be involved in Indiana politics for the next round of elections.

• Like Like x 1