how many watts

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by StraightFire, Nov 1, 2004.

1. i am planning to buy a cfl but what watt should i get?

2. what are u going to use it for? seeds? veg? flowering? hallway?
    u just going to have the 1 light/plant?
    how big a plant do u want?

3. how big is your grow space> whats your price range>.... buy the highest wattage one you can afford.... try to get atleast 35+watts per sq. ft. of grow space.... and keep them cfls close to the plants for best results ;)

4. U think a 45watt energy-saving cfl can grow one plant cause that wat i got i just want to to at least live to the flowering stage and get sum buds out of it

5. i dont see why not, it is a weed after all. just dont expect to retire off the profets.

the 1 thing i will say tho is if ur growin bag seed u may have something that likes a lot of light in which case it will b a sad plant, will still give u some bud tho in th end. if u plan on buying seeds then make sure they will do ok in low light. that is the most important thing, how fast they flower being a close 2nd.

6. a 45w light will do good in a 12" x 12" area... dont expect it to grow thick plants in a 2' x 2' box... even though it appears to be bright, the lumen count is severly lacking...

how big is your grow area?

7. <HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

I got CFL 45watt energy saving light i am trying to grow one plant it is only like 2weeks old now anyways which way should my light be the downwards way of sideways with a alumiin relfector made out of a soda can.

the first pic is the downwards way also i got the spiral one (on the left)

the second and third pic is the sideways with the relfector but instead of the cfl in the pic i got the cfL spiral kind

So which way is the best for my plant Put it sideways with the relfector or just put it downwards in a hanging postion

Attached Files:

8. Hang em sideways, and wot wattage u go altogether now?
    Good luck!

9. yea i am hanging them sideways these light are good they dont even get hot it a 45 watt cfl

10. I recommend that you get the biggest, highest wattage CFL (spiral) that you can find. I use two 85 watt with the clamp-on reflector/sockets. www.topbulb.com

11. I'm not sure if i agree with that, When the plant gets larger 1 CFLs won't be able to light the whole plant as well as 3-4 smaller ones placed in key places, Plus the effecency does down slightly in the large (over 45watt) CFLs the Lumens to Heat per watt ratio drops off between the 45 and 125watt ranges then increase from the 125-200watt models, but don't forget those big boys do produce much more head and need to be cooled, also most sockets are good for 60-100watts max. I try to go by the lumens rather than the wattage, the average 23 watt soft white CFL gives around 1600 lumens, if you can give the plant around 3000-4000 your plant will be more than happy, if you hit 5000-7000 your giving the plant just about as much as it can handle, more than that and your probably wasting light for one plant.
    Vokal

12. Q: can one have too many lights on a plant? assuming theres proper air circulation and temperature...

13. Vokal420 hit it right on the head with the lumen being the biggest factor in your plant growing
    The minimum as he siad just to sustain plant life is about 3k lumen
    Giving it the optimum conditions in an appropriate sized cab will have them take off and grow nicely. 7k to 9k lumen is best. If I were you ; try going up and dealing with as many lumen you can handle if you'll use compact fluoros.
    If you go HID ; like MH for vegging or HPS for the entire grow, then dealing with the heat from these lamps wi;; be a point of focus.

Cheap high wattage Compact fluoros
    cheak out these sites
    Farmtek.com ......catalogue pg 265
    ezhydrokit.com .....good prices too

GrassRoots......as for too much light
    Natural light in comparison to artifical light which we are using is a big difference
    BUT.....controlling the natural lights heat and distance from the plant isn't our worry. With the artificial lights we need to watch how close we are to the plant and control the temperature or cause the plant to react in nasty ways or even worst by killing it with sever burning. As for too much lumen >.....NO...think of the Sun
    As for too close and not controlling the heat and stress of the plant......TOO much TOO close yes

Hope I make sense