how many watts would a 20 plant crop need?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by u mad?, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ??

say.. 2000 watts? i got no idea....

100watts a plant enough?

the plants would be growing in a room.

2. 100 wats for first plant and 50 watts for every plant after is what everyone says.

3. hmm i see.

would 1500 watts be enough even if they were 5-6ft tall?

4. You tryin to grow with CFLs?

5. thats fluorescent lights right?

dunno yet, this is my first proper grow, just trying to get an idea of what ill need.... you know, as the saying goes 'do it once, do it right'

i want to have every thing planned out before i do anything....

6. Well, in all honesty, Id go for some proper grow lights if youre gunna go for that many plants. In all reality though, use the sun man. Your electricity bills gunna be redic, not to mention the ventilation system youre gunna need.

7. that was the initial plan but was soon realised how unrealistic it was ( neighbours)

im prepared to pay the electricity bill, thats not really an issue.

what are some proper grow lights?

thanks for your help btw man

8. #13 Eric111E, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
    I would say 2 1000w HID lights, even that would have sub par results, any less would be a waste. Do it right the first time, the risk is too great

9. thanks man, you've been nothing but helpful, hope someone reps you
    so even two 1000watt hid lights wouldn't be sufficient for good bud?

10. You can rep me fyi, and the help is not a problem. Like I said before, thats what this site is for man. I hope your grow goes well, and I wanna see pics! When you get your setup growing, jump into my grow thread and let me know.

11. 100watts refers to an old rule where 100watts of HPS equaled roughly 10,000 lumens.

To get that amount of light power from CFl's you'd need 150 Watts of lighting.

Aim for the 10k Lumen mark per plants, your plants will love you for it :D

12. 20 plants... depends on several factors but to be general let's talk sqft. Each plant will need between 4 and 9 square feet of space. Let's say you're keeping these plants a little smaller and near the 4' range. If packed side by side you'd have 80 sqft of plants or an area 8x10 in size. Having two groups of plants both 5x8 makes a little more sense and you'll have an aisle between them. Since a single 1000w bulb won't have enough coverage for 5x8 you're going to need more than one of them per group. This means you need at least four bulbs.

You can go with 1000w systems, but 600w systems can be placed much closer to the plants and have the maximum return on your energy investment. If it were me I'd use either four 600w systems or four 400w systems and two 1000w systems.

Either way you're looking at minimum 3000w with fans and the lights, and that's assuming you don't need an AC unit to keep everything in the right temp range and with a low enough humidity. So if you're going to spend the money I say just do it right. You can't really have too much light... so four 1000w systems is probably perfect if your budget can allow the monthly power costs of about $250.