How many watts/plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by andrew256, Jun 27, 2009.

1. I posted in the growroom design section with no response. I friend of mine wants to flower 100 plants at a time for 4-5 harvests/year. He estimates he will need 6,000-8,000 watts of HPS just for the flowering room. Does this sound reasonable? Question two: assuming that 6,000-8,000 watts is enough, how many watts of MH would you need to support the flowering room? My estimate is 3,000-4,000 watts but I am by no means an expert when it comes to indoor growing. He wants to Grow Jorje's Diamonds and Strawberry Cough and wants to aim for and average of 3oz. per plant.

I guess the main questions are:
    * Is 6-8k of hps enough to flower 100 3oz plants?
    * If not, how many watts would be needed to flower?
    * How many watts of mh would you need to support a
    Room of 100 flowering ladies?
    * Approx how many square feet would be needed for the veg
    room and flowering room?

Thank you and +rep to whoever helps me figure this out.

2. I havent grown those strains you've mentioned.
    This is a rough estimate under good conditions:
    To get 3 oz from most plants you'll need to veg it for at least a month, giving it between 14 to 18 square inches to grow to harvest.
    An average rule of thumb for 600watters is 50 watts per square foot (it could be the same footprint for 1000watters, i cant remember).
    I'm too stoned to do the maths for you, but it will give you an idea.

3. We measured the two rooms has available to use. One is 12X20 and the other is 12X11. He wants to use the larger room for flowering and the smaller one for vegging/cloning. If you go by this:Build Your Own Light System - Worm's Way it looks like you could run 6,000 watts in the flowering room and 3,000 watts in the cloning/vegging room. Does this sound about right? Would this be enough room and light to keep 100 plants in the flowering room?

4. I think you will want more light than that to get 3 oz per plant, over 75w per plant and as close as you can get to 100w per plant in the flower room. For veg room depends how long you want to veg them for, again looking at 3 oz per plant I agree with John you'll need to veg them out more, in which case you will need 75-100w per plant in the veg room as well.

Or, you could have less light in the veg room, flip them to the flower room sooner for more of a SOG, you won't get 3 oz per plant but you could get a couple extra harvests a year that way.

And just a general comment -- anyone who wants to harvest over 50 lbs a year and has to ask these kinds of questions is way out of their league. Start smaller while you're figuring out what you are doing.