How many times can a plant be cloned?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jinn420, Oct 3, 2010.

1. MY take on the question.

A clone is identical this we know, but we also know some clones perform better,
    Why is this? At some level even in cloning things like mutations will occur, we also know that stressing an organism can have genetic consequences (cancer IE). So when we ask this question literally it is true to say FOREVER and ever and ever and ever.

But the true answer to the question is "however long you can continue to pick good (identical) stock". If you take clones and make a mother out of the runt of the litter you are now permanently screwed and dealing with a sub par strain from that point forward.
    It is CRUCIAL that one picks good clone stock for new mothers. I take no less then 8 cuttings to determine a proper clone to replace a mum with. It would be even better if I took the time to check out the final flowers on a particular mom candidate before finalizing the choice but the plant numbers get out of hand quick (getting into 8^2 or more).

2. I am a scientist, and I have done some calculations based on mutation rates... sure your clones will be genetically identical, but each generation you clone away from the original mother means more mutation opportunities. by the 1000th generation, according to my calculations, your plant may develop language and start walking around. You might even be able to have sex with it. So I say CLONE AWAY MY FRIEND!!! May you live long enough to marry your plant!

OK OK, so I have a sense of humor. I am a scientist though. In all seriousness, you can keep a clone mother alive in vegetative state for 12+ years average (per the Marijuana Growers Bible--the number they use). If you renew the clone and replace the original mother in there from time to time, you can keep it INDEFINITELY--with unlimited cloning, only limited by damage inflicted on clone mother. I would suggest renewing the original clone mother with one of her offspring every 5 years or so to be sure... ?

3. I think this statement is false... though you are certainly not the root of it. I toop have read it many places, "the rev" (does Organic grow articles in Skunk Magazine) believes the same thing. I read an article today all about stem cell research and I learned alot. There are cells that live forever and are by all accounts IMMORTAL (in the sense that they are not mortal). These cells are known as germ-line cells... when a plant or animal is cloned the telemere clock of cell aging is set back to the begging of life (***) Even though they were cloned from SOMATIC Cells (as in mortal cells).

I'm not a scientist or anything, I just read a lot, and wanted to share this.

4. A clone is an EXACT copy of the mother age,health,etc..when the cutting was taken.

5. Yes, The definition of a clone is an exact copy. So no, it doesn't get weaker etc. However, if a disease has been introduced such as a virus then the clones can appear weaker. Or, if you get a killer strain clone from an experienced grower and your crop is crap, it is most likely growing conditions not the clone that is at fault.
    The intereseting thing, and the reason I am bothering to respond to this is that there is research that suggest that "aging" telemeres might not allow for perpetual cloning in all species of animals amd maybe plants. There are plants that have certainly cloned themselves as a naturally occuring process for eons. I haven't seen any definitive science that answers this.
    So, cloning yourself forever, iffy.
    Cloning your pot plant, good for now

6. Cool, thanks for the response man. Interesting stuff for sure. I wonder if any large scale greenhouses for food practice perpetual cloning?

7. I've cloned some landscape nursery plants for many years. For food I don't know. Probably but I can't think of any examples right off. A lot of food is in fact "cloned" if you will. Apple trees that are grafted are in a way a clone, there are many examples but most that I think of are really only one or maybe two generations away form the "mother". There is certainly a lot of asexual reproduction. My garlic is into several years but that is a bulb not a clone. Peonys are split and divided and rhubarb is split and divided. Almost all the ribes are from cuttings "clones" and that is about the closest I can come to a cloned food. Well, actually now that I think about it, since I don't like smoking I do eat my bud each night so that I can sleep, but food ? hmmmm

• Like Like x 1
  8. Red Delicious apples are all from clones.

9. I have been growing for a little while, in my experience you can clone forever I have cloned clones from the same two strains for the last 4 years and still getting a great outcome. I dont use mother plant i just clone in week 5 of flower and they're ready by the time my cycles finished.. works out well for me.. all the best bro