how many sites can I fim at once

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by hawkcg, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Just as the title says, how many sites can I fim at once--without overstressing my girl? I have fimed the top once 1.5 weeks ago, giving me 4 new nodes; as well as, doing some LST. I was wondering if I could fim the top nodes of four of the side branches at once, or would that be too much stress for the plant?

2. Once a week if you can find something to cut or pinch or tie off is ok for the plant IMO I let 7 days go by before going in again once you do this a alot it will eventually become harder and harder to find things to train every week and that's when I flower

Sent from iPhone 5

• Like Like x 1
  3. So it isn't recommended to make multiple cuts at different nodes in one day? I was looking to fim 4 side branches at once, veg for 3 more weeks then switch to flower. Rather than fim 1 node each week or 2

4. Yeah you can just give about 7 days for it to heal

Sent from iPhone 5

5. Thank you freeborn. Wanted a confirmation before I starting cutting away at her.

6. It's all good bro

Sent from iPhone 5

7. Honestly you can do quite a bit of stress to cannabis during the veg period, without any problems in the long run. On one of my mother plants right now, I have it growing in a solo cup (barely any roots, already not the best of conditions) and I topped every single top on the whole plant. When they new tops came in I repeated that. I did that 3 or 4 times, no waiting in between (except for the new growth of course). She's doing fine. Very compact bushy plant with tons of growth sites.

Just try to have an idea of where the new growth is going to appear, and you can pretty much do all the training at once if you know that is how you want it to grow. The only time I wouldn't recommend doing heavy training/pruning like that, is if the plant really doesn't have that much foliage to begin with.

8. #8 hawkcg, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    This run is the first for me, for fiming. So far my last cut grew 5 sites--two below the cut and 3 from the cut, and seems to be very healthy. Shes in a 14 gallon tote, so I am trying to train her across the width and then probably switch to flower.

Only problem I am having this run so far is gnats... They just will not go away, but they seem to be not harming her though--growing quite beautifully.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Put a layer of sand about a half inch or so above the medium, that should help with the gnats.

10. I have 2 inches of perlite, sprayed with neem oil/cinnamon/peppermint concoction I made, yellow sticky tape, hot shotz no pest strips, mosquito dunks. Only keeping them under somewhat control. I figured the perlite would be easier and more breathable than sand, but maybe less effective.

11. I wouldn't put a set number on the amount of time it takes each different strain to recover from stress, meaning each strain will react differently to different levels of stress.

I pay attention so how long it takes for new growth to form after any kind of stress, spraying them during lights out with a mild kelp botanical tea to help further reduce stress as well as any heat stress.

When it comes to how many times to FIM just keep in mind that stem thickness does matter, and your new growth is going to be 1/4 of the thickness as the growth you cut. If you do allow the plant to further veg these new growths to a relatively large size they are in-turn producing buds the same as sucker/popcorn buds would form.

The reason most people lollipop or remove the sucker branches and lower growth that isn't getting enough light is to further focus the plants energy into the larger more demanding stems.

My 2 cents and that's just what my recent readings have been spelling out for me.

12. 3 days after fimming, and new growth is already fairly noticeable, she seemed to have taken no stress at all. Also been spraying neem oil/protek as foiler, almost daily, and shes been loving that too; with no signs of burning. Hopefully the foiler will girth up the stalks.

I started this grow with my 400w hps, dimmed to 200, about 2 feet above, nodes were 1.5 inches apart; moved it to about half a foot away, nodes are about .25-.5 inch apart. Temp is around 86-90 and no signs of heat stress. This strain, GSC, with protek seems to make a hearty ass plant, no control so it might just be the strain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 hawkcg, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    11 days after fimming, the new nodes are growing soooo slow. The side nodes are almost already caught up to where I fimmed. Overall growth, almost every node, has grown about 4 inches from first fim (almost 3 weeks ago), and of the 4--half inch since last fim (1 week ago). The stalk is about 1/4-1/2 inches now too! hitting a steady 90 degrees without stress, only seems like the roots hit a pocket of soil that was over/under rich, I am using organicare dry nutes, so maybe I didn't mix entirely. Other than that, deep green fan leaves, with vibrant green new growth--sooo beautiful. I am excited to see what this produces in flower, trying to go another week or two before the switch. Trying to hit 6 inches+ on each branch before I flip.

14. #14 hawkcg, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
    So, just yesterday I did some more LST, and trimmed about 1/2 of the fan leaves off to expose more of the inner nodes. I may have cut to high the last fiming, but it added to more side growth; so, I am okay with that. Temps are blazing--97 degrees but no signs of heat stress. What do you guys think?

Planning on switching in about 7 days. Any advice? Should I trim more?

Attached Files:

15. #15 morange, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
    Looks good, I'm surprised the plant isn't being effected by the heat (noticeably at least). One thing I would say for advice is maybe cut back a bit on the veg food, you have got tons of nitrogen in those leaves, some are showing a bit of N toxicity (clawing, dark green glossy leaves). Overall it looks like a nice plant.

EDIT: Though, the glossy appearance may be because of a foliar treatment previous to taking the picture it's hard to tell, and the beginning of the claw might be from the heat.

EDIT2: I wouldn't trim any more, your canopy is pretty open right now. I'd suggest taking the taller 2-3 branches and tying them back with LST a bit more though, so you have a more uniform canopy. If they grow like this on into flowering, you're going to end up having those 3 be taller than the rest of the plant.

16. #16 hawkcg, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013
    yeah, I had heat issues, not as worse as this though (late winter temps). Now its spring and its HOTT. As for the glossyness, I am foiler feeding more often than I should, protek seems to work well. As for feeding, I fed ~2 weeks ago (its dry nutes) and will feed again probably in another week or two (with flower nutes). Its an all organic grow. I also plan on adding a screen, which would help with a more even canopy; or, should I just pull the main 3 down to an even height all around. I was looking at the screen option for added support, but looking at the main stem--I don't think she'll need it come to flowering.

EDIT: pulled main stalk down more, to pull those three taller branches down more. (They were only ~1inch above the other main nodes.) I also have been feeding when the soil drys out, with liquid karma / molasses / superthrive / protek / neem oil. I started the protek in water feedings to see what it would do--since I started, the main stalk has started to "bark" up, even up to the side stems. The neem oil was to see if I could rid my area of gnat larvae in the soil, it seemed to have worked. Haven't seen a gnat in days. As for the molasses so early, I haven't seen anything noticeable--but I am mainly using it to feed my soil than my plant since I am using all organic.

Per quart of distilled water and made for each watering:
    1/4 tsp LQ Karma
    couple drops of superthrive
    1/4tsp of molasses
    1/2tsp of neem oil
    1/4tsp of protek

17. This ^^^ :wave:

18. beginning of the 5th week of flowering. Been having major heat issues, having to turn dial down my watts to 200 to avoid heat of 108 degrees. Other than that been fluctuating between 80-95, and looking good--outside the claw.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. NOOOOO, dont do that. I'm assuming the plant/plants are not that tall yet. In any case u want to fim once at a time so there isnt to much stress on the lil buggers. I always gave atleast 2 weeks in between fimming, which some say might be a lil to cautious if the plants are as healthy as possible, but when it comes to wanting the ABSOLUTE best quality, and experience growing, especially w the tweeds, slow and low(take your time too, never,ever over nute cuz u WILL burn the plants) is usually the best way to have a successful grow. All strains are diff for the most part and wether ur a pro or a novice u have to take all things serious and take your time and read, and do all research u can. Just as the case is w everything in the growing world, never get in over your head and take it very serious if u want a good harvest. Second grow will b better than first, 3rd better than 4th and so on as long as u wanna be doing what your doing.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. NOOOOO, dont do that. I'm assuming the plant/plants are not that tall yet. In any case u want to fim once at a time so there isnt to much stress on the lil buggers. I always gave atleast 2 weeks in between fimming, which some say might be a lil to cautious if the plants are as healthy as possible, but when it comes to wanting the ABSOLUTE best quality, and experience growing, especially w the tweeds, slow and low(take your time too, never,ever over nute cuz u WILL burn the plants) is usually the best way to have a successful grow. All strains are diff for the most part and wether ur a pro or a novice u have to take all things serious and take your time and read, and do all research u can. Just as the case is w everything in the growing world, never get in over your head and take it very serious if u want a good harvest. Second grow will b better than first, 3rd better than 4th and so on as long as u wanna be doing what your doing.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Grasscity Forum mobile app