How many plants would you put in this room? I'm thinking 8.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by awek420, Mar 14, 2016.

1. 12x8, 3,000 watts. 1457930621539.jpg 1457930635191.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. General rule of thumb is one plant per square foot, but you would also need to consider lighting minimums as well. As long as you have that good to go, one per square foot.

But if you want to grow a lot at once which it sounds like, have you considered SOG?

Sea of Green (SOG) Marijuana

Sent from my SM-G928P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. The more I look at your space.. if you can do it, I think you're set up wonderfully for SOG. I'm not one to ask about that in particular, but you've got plenty of power and I see your ventilation better now.

You could literally be swimming in top shelf bud. I'm envious of you for that grow space and setup, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 awek420, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    That's too many plants. I like em big. My 10 gallon smart pots take up almost a a sq foot alone.

The light footprint with the 3 Raptors is basically wall to wall, so no issues there. I'm thinking 8 is a good number, should fill the room up. But if someone thinks I'd be better with 10, or maybe 6?

It's 96 sq feet total, probably closer to 70 usable sq feet without hitting doors or fans, and the room has the light power for around 150 sq feet.

5. And the room isn't finished in the pics, none of the ventilation is hooked up, wires need to be run and secured, some other misc stuff.

But it's got an 8 inch inline, and a 6 inch inline pushing/pulling air out of the room through (cooling) the lights, then a dedicated 6 inch inline split with a Y spitting fresh air in at both ends of the room. Oscillating fans on every wall.

Veg room is on other side of wall, so this is just flowering.

6. If you don't want to do SOG, it'll depend entirely on how you decide to grow them and the strain. But to my understanding, and the rule I followed, was from a seasoned grower that did industrial as well:

"A 600 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 5 foot by 5 foot grow area. (18 plants or less)A 1000 watt fixture will supply enough light to cover a 6.5 foot by 6.5 foot grow area. (30 plants or less)"

And your space is 96 square feet at 12X8, one plant per square foot would equal 96 plants, but the safe side of your lighting (if you chose to go by the quote above, which I found pretty accurate) is 90 plants (30 per 1000). So you could grow 90 plants. Now that's not really realistic because the pot sizes, medium, strain, care, all determine size and the way they grow.

But in numbers, 90. But when you consider all the factors above, the realistic number is one only you can answer based on preference.

If I myself had your setup, I would personally grow about 20-25 because I'd like to keep them in veg longer than I can in my tent. Autos I'd probably try to grow about 30-35, even though I couldn't grow them as big so could plant way more, just so I can monitor them equally since they grow fast. That and I'm still adjusting to autos, so I don't want to dive head first in to uncharted territory for me.

You can put more, less, it just depends. But you know that 90 would be the soft cap so you can figure out how many you want to tend for.

7. 1457933744479.jpg 1457933787248.jpg 1457933840492.jpg

8. I wish I could have one of these rooms.. and here you have two, haha.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Really? That many? I always grew them huge I guess lol. I filled my 10x5 tent wall to wall with just 6.

10. Veg room isn't as impressive lol. It's gonna be 6x5 with (2) 8 bulb T5's. Just a 4 inch inline on exhaust and intakes, couple of oscillating floor fans. Clone shelf in the closet. 1457934519497.jpg

11. I would do a 4x4 scrog under each, either single plant or 4 plants per light depending on how long you feel like vegging for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 12 plants total, 3 seperate SCROG nets?

Why not one big net?

13. How long would you veg them if you were doing 4 each?

14. 3-4 weeks probably, not sure how tall your pots are but I'd LST and wait till the plants get to 18-24in tall and make your net around that height. Mr. Tight has some excellent videos of his his similar setup and might have better information than me.

15. See I need to learn more about SOG. That's why I just provided a link to it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. He makes good points about why he'd like to go back to tomato cages instead of a net. That's my plan.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Simply because it will be easier to work several small nets, rather then one big net. Also with a room that size you would need a few people to trim it all at once. With several screens you can harvest in steps and do it yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'm gonna do cages lol. Easier to work than any amount of nets.

As for trimming, I can trim a good amount personally, but I do hire trimmers. I may even just rent an auto trimmer for a day on this next harvest.

• Like Like x 1