How many plants? . . . what's the sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by HydroDawg421, Dec 2, 2021.

1. I have an approx 20x20 sealed grow room and inside I have 4x4 flood/drain setup for top feeding. I have a water chiller, dehumidifier, mini-split a/c, 1k watt LED, etc...

What is the ideal # of plants for MAXIMUM yield? I'm thinking 4-6 with a 2-3 week veg before the flip. The strain is fem White Widow.

Attached Files:

2. Closing the Yield Gap for Cannabis: A Meta-Analysis of Factors Determining Cannabis Yield (2019)
    attached

3. OUTSTANDING! Thank YOU.

Found what I needed:

"CONCLUSIONS In order to increase cannabis yield per square meter and per W light, the results of this meta-analysis point to the use of (1) low plant density (≤12 plants per square meter), (2) a flowering period duration of 9 weeks, (3) the use of HPS lamps, (4) an adequate fertilizer regime, and (5) manipulating light intensity to preserve high energy efficiency vs. favor THC and CBD accumulation. Furthermore, our results demonstrate that cannabis varieties respond differently to production conditions. The vast amount of existing genomic and transcriptomic data can be used to catalog current cannabis diversity resulting from thousands of years of breeding and used to identify areas for crop improvement. While these basic production conditions are further investigated, we also propose the use of additional technologies such as LEDs to increase power-use efficiency, and PGPR to increase nutrient efficiency and regulate cannabinoid yield."

Although I disagree with #3, this is good info! I'll be WAY below the 12 plants per sq meter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I disagree with 3 too. but remember, it was written in 2019 and would have required pre-planning and funding, which would have occurred in 2018, maybe earlier, so newer led tech wasn't as available. Glad I could help ;)

5. Whatever you settle on I would recommend enclosing the space you utilize; lots of wasted reflective energy otherwise.

6. You could grow a lot more with that space. I would start with as many plants as you think you can get to stay alive. Always better to be able to pull plants and trash them if you run out of space than to not fill up your space. Or to say the least, you can remove large branches if the canopy gets to thick. I assume you are talking about growing clones when you say 3 week veg? A lot of the question can only be answered with speculation. Are you growing fast vegging strains that stretch a ton in flower? Or short stocky girls? A lot of it is trial and error. Personally i would probably grow 9 plants in a 3x3 layout.

7. I could definitely grow a large number of plants. Initially, I think 6-10 plants. I'm not trying to feed the Cartel. I'll start from seed and keep them in a smaller DIY cloning 'bucket' until they are a couple of weeks old. Then I'll move them to the flood/drain for a couple of weeks before the flip.

I'm going to run White Widow. I can control the height, etc.. by topping/lst/fim