How many plants for a 2×4×5 Indoor tent?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stonedlife, Dec 13, 2014.

1. #2 greenthumbs21, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2014
    In short 1 to 15...2 in 5g buckets or 5 in 2g buckets is smart if you're new

2. That depends on your needs really. I grow two autoflowers (5 gallon minimun smart pots) in my 2x4 and each get their own light. They yield enough for my purposes. I personally wouldn't grow more than three unless a scrog.

3. Thanks for the info guys! Also, tell me more about autoflower and its produced yield!

4. I do 2-3 plants in a scrog in my 2x4. Works out good. Like stated above, 2 smaller lights or adding additional side lighting helps because of the shape. Getting lights down to the end proves difficult as the plants grow taller.

5. 2x4x5 I get 6 plants in 5g buckets (soil) under 440w LED
    My usual is 3 week veg ( from healthy strong clones 12" tall ish)

I am so open minded you should only think like me..

6. 3 tops in 5 gallon pots....let em spread....they love the light and are greedy...they fight for it and someone always loses...unless theres more than enough for all.

• Like Like x 1
    Anywhere between 1 and 8 really. 8 sea of green plants would work well. Or 2 larger plants would also work well . As you only have 5' of height, 1 single plant would need to be ScrOGed or heavily LST'd 

8. If I were to do that, what would be my average yield per plant?

9. Going CFL, forgot to add.

10. I have never used cfl to flower but hear they don't penetrate the canopy well at all..fewer plants and spread out might be your best bet.. As far as yield? My guess would be 1 oz a plant but not if your new at it..try and find out:)

11. I'm only using CFL because they're cost efficient. If you have any other options I'm down to hear!
    Also, I heard CFL can be better than led?!? Enlighten me friend!

12. Ha, some house porch lights are better then some LEDs 💭
    I use California light works solar storm 440 and love it! Low light bill and almost zero heat.. My plants never seem to stretch and buds are small but thick n the bottom of the plant.. I just found a great deal on eBay for a hydrogrow sol 9 led so it's on the way.. (I'm going to give them the side by side test)

13. You're going to need a lot of CFLs if you plan on filling the tent. In my 2x4 I'm currently running a 600 hid and when flowering gets going Ive been adding 85 actual watt(300 equiv) cfls on each end. I'm going to be using LEDs this time in place of the CFLs to get get the bennies of both. If I was smart I would just have gotten 2 smaller hids or invested in 2 nice LEDs in the first place. Whoever told you the cfl over led bit needs to check around a bit more.

14. To cover 8 square feet with CFLs would be very expensive. You would need at the very least 400 watts and you would get around 4 oz per harvest. 

Another option would be to have 2x 250w HPS lights and you could get around 10-15 oz per harvest

15. The 1st time I grew in my 2x4 I used a 400 watt hid. The buds on the ends of the tent were very airy. I added CFLs but it was too little too late. My yeild suffered big time. What gold grower says about the 250 watt x2 would be the shit. If I was starting fresh with no equipment purchased for a 2x4 that's exactly what I would do with 2-4 plants scrogged. Even if i had to save up and hold off growing for a month or 2, in the long run its going to save $ and have better rewards. Now in hind sight, I've used a 400, a 600, ton of different cfl bulbs & reflectors & cords& splitters and now changing all that to use LEDs on the ends. I could have saved myself so much $ and hassle if I would have went with the 2x 250 route upfront. After this grow that tents only going to be used for seedlings and clones so I'm not worried about it now, but it sure would of been nice to have had the tent set up that way

16. Are you limited on space and thats why your getting that size tent? I like big tents so that I can walk in and sit next to the plant while water/inspecting. My tent is only 1/3 full and the extra space allows better air flow with a fan. 

17. Yeah actually, I barely have room for this one. I would like a 4x8 tent, just have no space for it.

18. I planned on my grow being strictly cfl, but I'm going to also use HP's due to cost, monthly bill etc.. Plus, unless I saved up for another month or so, I couldn't swing his or led. Not very cost effective in my situation.

19. High pressure sodium bulbs are hid(high intensity discharge).