how many plants can i keep under a hps?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by waxmonkey, Oct 2, 2014.

1. whats up everyone i plan on starting a new grow within the next couple of months and was wondering how many plants can i put under a 400w hps? i plan on usuing 3 gallon buckets and probably a 4x4 tent

2. I'd say bump it up to 5 gallon buckets and do 4 of them. I only have 1 under my 400w HPS.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412271570.202418.jpg

Blunts, Bitches and Banjos

3. I grow in a 4x4 tent with a 600w..either scrog 4 plants in bigger pots or do a sea of green with 16 plants in 3 gallon pots. Clones would work better than seedlings especially for sea of green.

4. I have a 600 watt hps in a 4x4 cabinet. It's really to crowded imo two plants would be perfect for this area and 400 watts of light. Of course you should start 4-6 plants and pick your best plant as they start crowding each other toss the weak ones. 5 gallon smart pots are really the way to go, I start with plastic buckets but have had better luck with smart pot. What kind of medium are you growing in? Air cooled light or no? Inline fan? Oscillating fan, and some basic nutes are also a must for success in small indoor grow. Sea of green growing is awesome except that you should look into your laws often growing more plants just lands you in hotter water. Super crop, low stress train, and fim your plants to make up for sea of green usually not being an option. If you don't know what these terms mean bing them and research research research good luck.

5. you think I can do 16 3 gallons in a 4x4 space?? And I only have access to seeds in my area not clones:/

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. my light isn't air cooled and the medium is called super cococoir it's a super soil water only blend all organic, I'm not starting for a month or so, so I still need to purchase and inline fan and carbon filter which I'm getting with my 4x4 tent, I won't need nutes just some acts and stuff cause it's funna be organic and yeah I know all those terms I've done only one grow and had to ditch my plants as soon as I started flowering:/ but you don't think 4 plants in 5 gallon smart pots would be alright with proper training, pruning and super cropping? And would I still have room in my grow tent?

Thanks for the responses btw everyone!

7. I don't think you should attempt this for my stated reasons above. Law enforcement comes down on you harder for more plants, if this is a legal grow depending on area you can only have so many plants flowering, in my case 6. Start 4-6 plants and weed out weak plants as your space fills up. 16plants in 3 gallon containers is a lot of wasted containers and soil. Sea of green works good for a perpetual grow if you have two rooms setup, or if you have no fear of law enforcement. Otherwise it's more work for slightly faster return that will be about equal to 2-4 well trained plants you can easily fit in your space.

8. #8 lFourTwenty, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014

4 plants scrogged in 5-7 gallon smart pots in a 4x4 tent..the grow in my sig is exactly like that except it's 600w instead of 400.

And I wasn't advising you to grow 16 plants on your first grow..what I meant to say is you could do anything from 4 plants scrogged to a 16 plant sea of green in that size tent..maybe even more than 16 but that's a shitload of work.

9. #9 Brother Urb, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
    4 plants in 2 gallon pots underneath a single 400w in a 3x3 tent. I would never attempt more than that.

10. I have 4 plants in my 4x4 room they are 42" right now, I am in week two of flowering vegged for 8 weeks. I literally have to tuck them into the room to get them to fit. My fear is that with my 600 hps I am losing my lower leaves from lack of light. It's to crowded if you end up in this same situation you have less light wattage and may have real issues. Not saying you can't have four only that they will not than fill room. I think I would have gotten better results with two plants bushed out harder. Or four plants I vegged less time. So many combinations it makes hard answers difficult. Growing in small spaces is a book I read the author say you should focus on two plants in 4x4 room come flowering time. He also says expect 8-10oz if you are running this operation correct.

11. Why 2 gallon pots? You do realize recommend 1 gallon of container for every month of growth?

Ya you overgrew your tent for sure..8 weeks veg lol

Yep.

Flower early and keep the plants small.  2 gallon is fine for a plant that will be no older than 3 months.  That rule is not a hard fast rule, its a generalization.  I see you've been listening to ol' Jorge.

14. I'd also like to add that doing 2 plants or 6 plants is kind of ridiculous for a single lamp.  Most lamps light up a square footprint, or slightly rectangular.

Last I checked neither 2, nor 6 plants fills up a square footprint nicely and evenly.  If you are going to have 2 you may as well have 4, otherwise you are just wasting canopy space.

15. You know that's why I was suggesting to start 6 plants. As you fill up your canopy space you take out the weak growers. Maybe you end up with four maybe you end up with two. Of course if they are not fem. Seeds you should definitely start more plants. I have read jorge think about reading ed next.

16. idk how to tag you and fourtwenty both but I'm thinking that I'll start off with 6 and veg for about 4-6 weeks and choose my best four plants in 5 gallons and prune properly with training yes or no???

^what are you thinking about my idea?

17. I think that plan rocks brother man, I subbed in to your grow. Hope to see you planting your little corner of the world green soon.

I don't see why to start out with 6 if they are feminized..I always germinate as many seeds as I planned on growing, I didn't ever plan on picking out 2 plants and killing them, seems like a waste of 2 seeds to me. I guess if you are just starting out and you're afraid you might kill one or two of them, then yes start 6.

Scrog would definitely be the best method for you..so find something to make a screen with if you can, and start LSTing your plants before you put the screen up, that way they will already be getting bushy.

19. thank you I defs intend on scroging and the reason for killing off two is so that I have plants to choose from in case one grows better, more symmetrical etc than the other ya feel me?