How many plants can a 1000w hid grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by findme, Feb 12, 2010.

1. if you have 1000w hid, how many plants can you grow under it?

2. pretty sure the rule of thumb is 100w per plant

3. at least 50W per square ft, and generally 1 plant per sq ft.

So like 4x5 area or 20 plants Either 4 rows of 5 plants or 3 rows of 6 are good depending on space and then go from there.

4. Anywhere from 10 to 20. You also may want to look into buying 2 smaller HIDs rather than one large one so you can cover more area.

5. #5 findme, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
    hmm.. what would be the best way to setup 20 plants ( each plant having 1square foot of space) under a 1000w hid?soil or hydro? what type of setup? scrog/sog/etc?

I was thinking about getting two of them but it would cost me more :(. 1000w hid now and maybe another one after my first grow :)

6. I would probably get a single 600W for first grow just my opinion do what you think is best but 2x 1000 is a LOT of light 2x 600W is nice or 600+400 even. 2x 600 is more efficient and more coverage than 2x 1000. I wouldn't scrog or sog first grow keep it simple do 16-20 plants 4x4 4x6 or 6x3 maybe

7. Iv'e done 22 and Iv'e done 10 and I think 15 is perfect.:D

less popcorn and more dence buds imo

8. 5x5 space for an air cooled 1000 is perfect
    get a digital ballast that will let u run both mh and hps
    run co2 in there for 40% more yield (this is not bunk.......i use it)
    i personally would setup aeroponics and run 12 to 16 plants

9. co2 for 40% more yield?!?! nice!!

how do I setup a aeroponic grow for 12-16 plants? I always seen it done with 6 plants. Could you show me a picture or an example on how to do this so I can know what its going to look like?

thanks guys!!!

10. Aero for 6 plants is easy. Take a large tote Rubbermaid roughneck or these big yellow and black cargo boxes (look like they would be movie props for some crappy B movie on a military base). Yellow lid black bottom i got a few for about $12 each. cut 6 holes either 2" or 3" (net pot size) do hydroton or neoprene. Run 1/2" pipe inside get a 300+ preferably 400+ GPH submersible fountain pump and a pack of 12-24 EZ Clone sprayers and thats about all you need to get started. Basically take a cloner tote and do the same thing but with 6 holes and a bigger lid / container.

projects.bootstrap - Aeroponic Unit V1.1

Found one that uses the same one I was talking about. Just do 6 holes (you can use solid 1/2" PVC instead of the gardening tubing inside which is what i suggest)

11. #11 findme, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
    how would I do it for 12-16 plants with one 1000w light? I dont think one tote is big enough for it

12. Google Fence Post Aeroponic DIY and start there.

13. :O my brain has just been blown! some pictures I have seen is just wow. I didn't think about doing it like that!

was this what you were talking about? is that a "fence post aeroponic" grow ?

[​IMG]

14. That's called the space shuttle. See PDF for the basic idea. I got the plans some some guy that posted the guide on another forum. I can post the PDF I don't think thats against the rules someone ruling on that one?

Attached Files:

15. ooo ok thanks, I was wondering because I couldn't actually find anything called aeroponic fence post diy.

THANKS!!!!!

that looks sooo hard to do!!

any idea on how much that costs to make? I have seen them online for like 800.. im guessing they are around 180 - 200 to make?