How many of you feel this way

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dougstanhope, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Not sure if this belongs in the "Philosophy" section, but I'm mostly just wondering how many other people feel this way.

Whenever I'm around a black person, or a group of black people, I always feel like I need to do something to prove that I'm not racist. Whether it be just saying hello to them or not moving away when they stand closer to me (because I feel like that would come off racist). As a white male, I always feel like I have to prove to all black people that I'm not racist but I assume that most of them think white people are racist towards them. Maybe that assumption on my part is racist? I don't fucking know. I'm getting really sick of all this race shit to be honest but I still always feel like I need to prove to random black people that I'm not a racist. I shouldn't feel like I have to do this...but I do.

Who else? Or am I just fucking weird?

2. You dont have shit to prove to them, white guilt is such a crock. 
    im mexican and have dealt with enough different ppl in my life to know that shit transcends all races ethnicitys etc...

3. If you wouldn't think twice about moving away from a white person that sat too close to you then what's the difference
    They don't want you to go out of your way to let them now your " cool" with them
    Their is no them. it's us as a human race

4. I feel ya but im mexican so im safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. lmao what? not at all. 

6. Maybe its you your really trying to prove it to....
    We all do things without really recognize our true motives all the time...
    if this situation always makes you uncomfortable in this way... maybe there is something you are trying to prove to yourself...

In the end we are all one...
    So...they are you just as i am you....

Try looking from a few different perspectives... find one that works better for you in that situation...

Good luck!

7. I feel you, I don't think I act that way but I might subconciously overcompensate a little? Idk, race is a weird fucking thing.

8. Just carry a picture of Obama around in your wallet.

But in all seriousness I don't feel that. I've always been comfortable around black people. I attribute that to where I went to preschool/kindergarten. It was very predominantly black. There were like 3 white kids in my class and the other two were Albanian. My best friend back then was black, and lucky for us our moms worked at the same place so it was easy for are parents to arrange play dates and I'd go to house fairly often and be around his family who was obviously black. Then when I got into elementary most of the kids were white and all the black kids we did have throughout the elementary years would start off not knowing anybody and being awkward and I would always kind of be their first friend and incorporate them in my group of friends. This wasn't because I felt any type of white guilt as a kid, I just saw a kid who I noticed wasn't really fitting in or adapting well and it's always been my nature to extend a hand to the new kid and try and make them feel comfortable.

In 8th grade I went to a new school because my school from 1st-7th closed and a lot of my friends went to the new school with me, but even then I made good friends with one of the kids who happened to be black. We're still friends today. In high school my best friend was black. So I'm very comfortable around black people.

This can also be because I played a lot of sports as a kid, and the black kids in my school would be on the basketball team with me, that's not supposed to be any stereotype either, it's honestly the way it was. 

And all the black girls thought I was cute and were usually more outgoing then the white girls I went to school with so I guess I've always had the approval of black people if you want to call it that

9. I'm black and I'm happy there are white people like you around, but you need to change your perception of black people not just "prove to them" you're not racist.

honestly If you did what you did that around me it would just be awkward, you dont need to gain our trust and learning about "black" peoples skin and why it's that color will change your perception in your mind thus changing your "vibe" around them. I'm not into this whole african-american stuff, but it really helps to educate yourself to change your perception of life and in this case black people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Oj4qQ6h78&list=FL5dEXrgMG_qBp-JfSaY4m7g&index=23

10. It may be true that many black people assume whitie is racist but that would be their problem not yours. I dont act any differently around anybody. Just be yourself, whoever you like you to be!

11. #12 AK Infinity, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013

Its interesting you should mention this because as an African American I have to go out of my way to prove I'm not violent, uneducated, or lazy.  I'm not a racist either but it sickens me to always be on display and watched as if I were a caged animal at the zoo.  The reality is I'll never be able to get away from that but you should be thankful for your skin color.  Don't lament shit you can't change just live your life and try not to forget the powerful significance of "white" privilege and what it gets you in American society.  Guilt is meaningless if it isn't merged with actions that have good intent.  

The place to begin is with empathy and from there possibilities flow.

12. #13 esseff, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    It isn't easy for someone who's complexion is called white to understand what some with other pigments go through, just because they appear to have some visible difference. But then, any minority amongst any majority will have some prejudice. Some religions too.

As a Jew growing up in London, even though I didn't look particularly Jewish or practice it, still gave me insight into antisemitism first hand, just by being thought Jewish.

So I have some idea, but only some. For me, although I didn't do it so well back then, but rising above it, learning to accept yourself as you are and see those bigots for what they were, ignorant of the truth, just passing on ideas given to them by other people.

Well, it will actually raises consciousness, as much as they think they are pulling us down. Not always at first - took me time to stop hiding and hoping to be left alone, or going the other way, and over-reacting to even the slightest whisper of racism. But walking the middle way.

I remember walking back from lunchbreak with my jamaican friend, being pulled over by two traffic cops, who precededed to humiliate him, and made sure that i could do nothing to interfere. I was white so alright, just don't get in the way. It wasn't the first time he'd had this, but i could see he really didn't like it, and rightly so. It was over real quick, and I wasn't prepared to witness his world so clearly. Glad I did. Felt bad for him being made to feel like that just because he had dark skin.

13. #14 A.R.C., Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    maybe this'll put your mind at ease, op.

black people, sometimes, feel as though other black people need to prove something to everybody.

i grew up in the middle class, and had been raised by parents who are more cultured than most. in grade school, a lot of white and black people didn't think i was 'really black', and i always caught hell for it. i didn't listen to a lot of hip-hop, i never wore the same clothes twice in a week, i had a more expanded vocabulary than most people, i wore glasses, i dressed like a nerd, AND i was nice... according to my classmates at the time, this made me the exact opposite of "being black".

some folks grow out of that mindset, after awhile; some folks never had it to begin with. but, for some, it's neither... and it's nothing to get up in arms about once your older.

you'll find more peace, when you concentrate on associating with people who are impartial and non-judgmental.

14. I feel the same way when I walk past a group of crips in South Central L.A.
    Or a gang of homies in East L.A.
    or a bunch of long haired hells angels in a biker bar.

15. #16 dirtydingusus, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    You got a problem with my hair? Wtf? Lmao....
    I never even road a motorcycle....
    Never been in a gang of anything....

Walk alone....
    Wherever i please....

They are all just people.... none of them scare me... i walk thru gangs on the sidewalk same as i paddle thru gatters in the swamp.... walk past bears in the forest...

Fuck it.... they are still just people.... and none of them fuck with me....

16. One thing I've learnt in life is, it doesn't matter where someone is from or what colour they are, an asshole is an asshole.

I just avoid assholes and all is good..  :)

17. That is what they so-wrongly call ''positive discrimination''. Many of us are being educated in its spirit and that contributes to some kind of racial guilt which strongly influences our behavior. You see, racism is a 2-faced issue, and this positive discrimination thing is ''the other side'' of it - it has no actual positive effects, because, you see, there is no positive sense of the word ''discrimination''. It's all up to you to try and control this. You are not racist, and it's admirable that you took the time to worry about it. It shows that your choice is to disapprove of racism - and our choices make us who we are. Good luck!

18. exactly, unless you're a complete pussy with a weak heart we wont fuck with you, we're just normal people trying to get by but If you act like a little girl, I would say something just to fuck with you to.

19. I don't feel the need to prove anything because I don't see why someone would automatically assume I'm racist. If they do that's their mistake.