How many of you are running a linux distro?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by LateNiteSmoker, Jun 27, 2010.

1. I'm fairly new to Linux (less than a year) but running Ubuntu 10.04 currently and just got my mother to switch over from Vista ;)

Just checking to see if most everyone is Mac Or Windows or if there is some Linux users like myself hangin around. :D

2. Ahh nice to meet ya, mate! I'm running Windows XP on two boxes, both with VMWare installed.

I'm running the following *nix distros via VMWare...

Ubuntu 9.04
    Ubuntu 9.10
    Backtrack 3 and 4
    OpenFiler for NAS/Apache/Mail Sever (rPath)
    CentOS
    FreeBSD

Not all of these (other than the servers and Ubuntu 9.10) are running simultaneously. I do a lot of pentesting (Backtrack) and enjoy "tinkering" with the other distros.

I'm also a developer for Ubuntu. So if you've ever got a problem or encounter a bug, I'm one of the guys that jumps on it to confirm and release a fix. :)

Welcome aboard, brother. The *nix community is a very tight-knit and loving family ;)

3. Aye - Got a lucid lynx box running here!

4. fellow linux user. 9.10 on both laptop and desktop with xp on each as well.

5. I have OpenSuse with KDE 4 but I don't use it since I have been using my phone for internet and it's not supported.

6. I run lucid sometimes when I want to browse the net somewhat faster.

7. I used to use Ubuntu. A lot actually. I used it for about 3 years. While I was using it about 3 months ago, I was re partitioning my drive so I could have more space on Windows. While my windows 7 partition got corrupt and I got really pissed. So after just sitting there going like fuck this piece of shit and wanting to punch my laptop, I snapped every Linux/Ubutnu disk I had in half. So now I only use windows 7 haha.

8. I have linux mint on my computer.
    Have any of you tried Fedora?

9. i used to run xubuntu for fun. I still have it.

10. I use Archlinux. I try others out from time to time, but always come back due to it's rolling-release cycle (only one install needed ever), and the fact that it is free of bloat. It's so simple to configure too, although you need to know some basic command line stuff.

Unfortunately I'm currently house-sitting at my folk's, and posting from Vista :cry:

I don't really mind Windows that much to be honest. Bill Gates is at least one of the good guys of the corporate world. Linux is not as politically squeaky-clean as it used to be anyway.

11. Er, so you got pissed at your Linux discs because you tried to get it to co-habitate with Windows?!?

Windows doesn't even work that well by itself, much less running in tandem... :D

Just saying man, give *NIX another chance...Win 7 is a marked improvement over Vista, but that's not saying much. I still run XP. :cool:

FYI, for the OP, run OSX on a Macbook(technically BSD-based), but I run a variety of *NIX distros (RHES 4.x, Fedora, Debian) in VMWare, as well as my virtual XP box. Unity mode works pretty slick on OSX too.

12. My weed actually runs linux. I have a computer directly controlling my lights and fans, it's running an XFCE spin of Fedora. Everything is controlled by scripts and cron jobs. More systems will be brought on-line as I get my cycle going.

The long-term goal is to be able to log humidity, temp, ph, ppm, control lights, hvac, and circulatory pumps, adjust the ph and ppm continuously, top off the reservoir automatically, and hopefully automatically flush the system out every couple of weeks. That accomplished, it should not be hard to add liquid level detection, which will warn (via email and/or text message) in case of catastrophic failure, and shut off the pumps before they start sucking air. A liquid level added to the reservoirs for each of the ph adjusting fluids and nutrients would allow an internet-connected PC to order replacement supplies when they got low.

Accurately determining the cost of a prototype is difficult even in retrospect, but assuming you had a working hydro kit and a laptop, you could probably do everything listed above for less than $250. Here's to open source cannabis :D

Attached Files:

13. I was using Ubuntu when it fucked up my hard drive. Not windows. I have no reason to switch to Ubuntu.

14. Yeah, I'm working on a similar type of project for fun (not that I've actually started yet) using an Arduino.

15. when i was younger, im 20 now so id say 16-17 i was heavily into linux, i messed with fedora 3 i think it was, fedora 4, a couple ubuntus, and i think debian base they were all pretty fun

16. Desktop is dual booting win 7 and kubuntu, netbook is running backtrack4, server is/was (i havn't booted it in like eight months, when I built the new desktop I didn't need the filesharing/space anymore) running red hat.

Honestly, I run Windows 7 much more than I do Kubuntu, now. I've gotten lazy now that my new computer runs fast enough that I don't have to constantly worry about optimization.

17. I run Arch Linux on my normal computer, and I also manage a few OpenBSD and Debian servers. I've also messed with Linux From Scratch but always get sidetracked with other projects

18. #18 fluxburn, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
    I learned on Fedora, which you basically have to setup everything on; unless it is a desktop and you don't use flash. I started with Fedora 4, it's on 12 now. I switched over to Ubuntu for this laptop, E6400 Latitude from Dell, just because Ubuntu is just way more laptop friendly then Fedora (geared for desktops and testing / developing primarily).

Stick to Ubuntu unless you are looking to become some Linux System Admin or something; they predominately use Red Hat or Cent OS (which is red hat, but free).

Ubuntu is so damn easy to use for the post part. If you ever have an issue with the computer, remember this!!!
    Restart the computer and hold down SHIFT after it does the start up screen, it will show a bunch of Kernel numbers. The top one is the most recently updated one; sometimes an issue occurs with this. Just drop it down to the one below and boot and everything works.

Sometimes, rarely, they release a bug with the kernel and wifi or something doesn't work. That simple fix resolves the issue until the system fixes itself by some update or what not.

I have win7 on a music PC, but can't wait to just buy a mac. Windows is just asking for a virus. Not worth using it at all due to security issues.

19. Linux Mint 9 Kde

20. Mint 9 with KDE is an awesome OS. It's nearly identical to Ubuntu but the "feel" is much sweeter. I still prefer Ubuntu but Mint is one heck of a distro!