How Many Lumens?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by noctorum, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Is there a calculator somewhere or just a formula or something that tells me how many lumens of light I need?

and is lumens universal? 400 watts of 50k lumens would theoretically be the same as 500 watts of 50k lumens?

thanks much

~noctorum

2. as much as id like to help you right now i just ran into a good friend of mine a little while ago whoes name was Phillie..... :eek: Phillie Blunt, ahem "oroginal" flavor ;) .... uh oh yeah.. i dun thinks to smarts enough to help you right now ill get back to ya :hello:

3. as far as i know the lumens emitted by HPS and MH lights (the required spectrums)..........are directly related to the wattage...........ie a 400wHPS will pump out 45,000 lumens.........i aim for no less than 3000lumens per sq foot...........hence i have a room of 3'x3'............=12sq feet............=a need for 36,000lumens..............i use a 400HPS.........giving 45,000...........which gives me somewhere around 3500lumens per square foot..............

as for distance, i'd say an average is about 4" of distance for every 100w of power, for both MH and HPS..........which would mean mine would be 16" away from the tops of the plants, however i use a good fan, and a heat shield to allow a distance of as close as 10", without the heat problems associated with it................as the further the light gets from the top of the plants, the less intensity, and therfore a lesser yield at harvest time would be the result................check out the guide under my sig, it'll help you out............. :) Peace out............Sid